Discuss Can I turn down bathroom radiator which has 2 lockshield valves ? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mikepilk

Hi. The problem I have is the bathroom getting too hot.
I have a Potterton Suprima 40L boiler. I've found the Installation guide online which says that there must be a by-pass which allows 2gal/min. My bathroom radiator is the only one without a thermostat. My question is, should the valves on this radiator be fully open, or can I close one down. If so how much, and what are the consequences of overdoing it - the boiler overheats and switches off ?

There should be no problem with doing so, it really depends on if you have an automatic bypass on the system or not or if not one of those another radiator on the system working as one.

As long as there is other radiators on the system and they aren't all closed down you shouldn't have a problem.

do you have a room stat?
the radiator in the space where the room stat is fitted should not have a trv.

I've no idea if there is an automatic bypass on the system. And once the house is hot all the other radiators don't feel hot.

you can reduce the flow rate throught the bathroom radiator alittle which will slow down the radiator reaching temp but it will get fully hot. You do not want to turn this radiator off fully.

you could turn down the boiler stat which should reduce the rads temp, but the best solution would be to have a room stat fitted, remove the trv from the room the room stat is fitted in and put it on the bathroom radiator.

a room stat along with your timer will save you money in the long run so its worth doing.

Last edited:
Aw has hit the nail on the head. And while it is drained down get a automatic bypass fitted if it is a two port valve system.

For a temporary solution you could use the hall way rad a s the bypass by removing the trv head. You could then turn down the bathroom rad.
The answer by AWheating is the correct way to deal with the situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Can I turn down bathroom radiator which has 2 lockshield valves ? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I am trying to workout in what order my radiators heat up in order to then balance them. I am able to figure out which radiator pipe is the...
Replies
Views
Hi All, In Dec 2023 I had my annual boiler service and asked the plumber to change 2 radiator valves as the radiator in the toilet downstairs was...
Replies
Views
O
Hi All, We renovated our house in 2019 and put in completely new plumbing system and piping including new boiler and 9 radiators. Off those...
Replies
Views
Hi, I need to drain my vokera 29 boiler in the attic as Im going away for 4 weeks at least to make sure there are no frozen pipes. In my small...
Replies
Views
Hoping somebody can help, So, in a nutshell… Standard 90s Westbury home – condensing boiler, pump, wall thermostat, etc etc... Normal, common or...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock