Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Can I jump from a fast track Certificate Level 2 into people's houses in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

hiigara

working as self-employed?
Also if I fast track the "City & Guilds Certificate Level 2", can I then do the "City & Guilds Certificate Level 3" at college?

working as self-employed?
Also if I fast track the "City & Guilds Certificate Level 2", can I then do the "City & Guilds Certificate Level 3" at college?
from my personal experience of plumbing i would suggest u gain some more work experience first.at least a 1yr anyway ,full time. now i do not know u or your abilities but there is so much to know it is rediculous.

Speaking as someone who qualified on a fast track course i have to tell you that i trained alongside a qualified plumber for almost 2 years before i felt competent enough to walk into someones house on my own! This could be a confidence thing on my behalf but in reality there is so much to learn from working with someone. There is only so much a course can teach you especially when the pipework is on a bench in front of you. The reality is that soldering can be in very tight spaces and a lot of the most common work is very hard to get to. I suggest that you should find a competent tradesman for the 1st year at least. i hope this doesn't put you off!

Alternatively ....

I went from a fast track course last year, straight into houses and have never looked back - perhaps that's because they all burned down after my soldering?

I used to be in office type jobs and must admit it was a very steep learning curve. However, most of my jobs now come from recommendations from the plumbing jobs I've done so far.

I ensure I'm reasonably confident that I can do the job before I take it on. I'll suggest they get someone else if I'm uncomfortable. In my early days I called out a heating engineer to get the boiler going again but now know how to sort those out. I keep learning new things all the time.

I feel the attitude with customers (friendliness, tidiness, full and open honesty and cleanliness) are more important than your qualifications. Your skills are probably better than the customer because they wouldn't be asking for help. Money is well down the list. Customers primarily want someone who looks and is trustworthy enough to be in their house.

And to answer the initial question, you don't need any qualifications to work in peoples' houses but you do need to make sure you fit things according to the regulations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Can I jump from a fast track Certificate Level 2 into people's houses in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Our kitchen mixer tap has started dripping. Like so much of the plumbing in our almost new build bungalow, it is lacking! The plumber didn't...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock