Search the forum,

Discuss Can copper piping be used for condensate drain pipe from combi boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jonbo300

Hi all,

This is first post and I'm afraid I'm not very technically minded.

I had a new Worcester Bosch 38CDI natural gas combi boiler installed about 5 months ago. Everything was fine until a week ago when the boiler started shutting down about 3 or 4 times a day, but would restart when the reset button pressed. The boiler was showing an error code EA. The installer believed that the plastic condensate drain pipe was probably bending slightly and trapping water somewhere in the piping and causing the boiler to shut down. He cleared any water from this pipe but the boiler would still shut down and show the same error code. The installer then replaced the pipe with copper piping thinking this should be more rigid with no water being trapped, but still the boiler was shutting down. The installer then thought the problem must be an electronic problem within the boiler itself and to contact Worcester Bosch. I did this and their engineer confirmed that it was an electronic problem with the boiler. However, the engineer from the manufacturer said that copper piping should not be used for the condensate drain pipe. Just wondering if anyone could perhaps explain a bit more and what I should now do regarding the copper piping.

Appreciate any comments. Thanks

No chance.

Call him back and ask him to pls replace the copper with the right pipe.

Last edited:
Hi Alpha man,

Thanks for the quick reply. Just wondering what to do now. Will the replacement copper piping now have to be replaced by the original plastic piping?

Or is there any way of keeping the copper piping in situ??

The water produced when the boiler condenses has an adverse effect on copper and the pipe will disintegrate over time. Plastic 21.5mm pipe and glue fittings is what you need with a constant down to suitable termination.

Where'd you get this first guy from?

Is he a registered gas safe engineer?

He should have known not to replace with copper.

And lagged and increased to 1 1/4" if external or just increased to 1 1/4 if over 3m in length.

Hi Everyone,

Just like to thank everyone for their contributions and advice. Really appreciated it all as I didn't realise the implications of using copper piping for the condensate pipe

no plastic pipe should cause a problem if installed correctly. Get the engineer back, or get a better engineer in.

A friend of mine smelt gas in his kitchen, turns out the condense connection at the boiler was dripping on to the copper gas pipe and had eaten through the copper causing the leak. Condense is acidic, that is why you have to use plastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Can copper piping be used for condensate drain pipe from combi boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it 😬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Our kitchen mixer tap has started dripping. Like so much of the plumbing in our almost new build bungalow, it is lacking! The plumber didn't install any isolating cocks in the H&C feed to the tap so how can I identify which of the valves is passing? Shut the whole H&C water system down?
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock