Discuss C/H pump not working unless HW is switched off in the USA Plumbers Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

My system comprises a Kingspan 180L unvented hot water tank, Danfoss FP715si controller and a Bosch Worcester Greenstar Ri boiler, which works perfectly as far as I can see (and is serviced by BG every year).

The problem is that the CH pump will only start if I switch the HW to manual, if they both come on together (as programmed) the CH pump will not run with the HW on. The system uses a Center EHE0200157/U 22mm three-port, mid-position valve.

This problem started shortly after a new tank (as above) was fitted and actually did operate OK for a week or two but then it started to go wrong. Initially both CH and HW would come on OK but the CH would stop circulating after around 2 hours running and would only work if I switched HW to manual as above, now it won't even allow the CH pump to start.

HW is only heated via the boiler, I have not connected the immersion heater so it is not part of the problem and can be ruled out.

Can anyone suggest what could be wrong and how to check it please (I am a control systems engineer by discipline so hopefully I can follow guidance and test as appropriate).

Thanks in advance.
At the moment, until rectified, you have a mid position valve, so any fault finding will/should apply with this type of installation. You should be able to follow this link fairly logically to identify your present problem.
When you say the CH pump doesn't run then if referring to the circulation pump, the boiler isn't firing either?

Y Plan central heating system (flameport.com)

Last edited:
If it's just a 3 port alone, as others have said it will need changing to two 2 port zone valves.

If it's a 3 port along with a 2 port then you should probably have it changed to two 2 port valves. I've never come across a situation where it ever correctly operates and tbh just causes hassle. Why installers think it's a good idea to do this i'll never know as it's easy to swap a 3 port out for a couple of 2 port valves.

Many thanks for your help guys, I contacted Kingspan to get their input and they have confirmed that I need to get the supplied 2-port valve fitted and wired as suggested in the tank installation document (removed by the installer !) so I have approached a local plumber to get that done, and hopefully to get the tank installation signed off finally.

Oops, I just noticed that there were more replies after I had posted the above, on the subject of the 3-port valve, the Kingspan installation booklet does actually include a 3-port + 2-port installation (I guess it covers my situation exactly where a vented tank is replaced by an unvented one and the 3-port was existing) and I am keen to avoid having to buy any additional hardware (I have the 2-port valve that was supplied with the tank). Am I correct in thinking that with the extra 2-port valve installed the 3-port actually then becomes a 2-port ? or something other than mid-position valve ??

Last edited:
If still retaining the diverter valve and just installing a 2 port valve in the cylinder circuit then you may still have a problem but if installing 2 x 2 port valves then no problem, hopefully.

At the moment, until rectified, you have a mid position valve, so any fault finding will/should apply with this type of installation. You should be able to follow this link fairly logically to identify your present problem.
When you say the CH pump doesn't run then if referring to the circulation pump, the boiler isn't firing either?

Y Plan central heating system (flameport.com)
Yes that is exactly what is happening, boiler switches off, pump stops, then all is good if I switch off the HW.

Yes, understood, but is there only one (or two) 2 port valves being installed, if only one, then the diverter valve must still operate IMO as normal but with the extra security of a normally closed two port valve.

Yes, understood, but is there only one (or two) 2 port valves being installed, if only one, then the diverter valve must still operate IMO as normal but with the extra security of a normally closed two port valve.
the original 3-port valve is still fitted, I intend to fit an additional 2-port valve and wire up in accordance with the Kingspan installation guide.

Reply to C/H pump not working unless HW is switched off in the USA Plumbers Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock