Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Building Services Level 1 City and Guilds in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

fuzzy

On C&G's website they have mentioned a level 1 qualification in building services, so presumingly this is plumbing and electrical all in one. This is available ful time and you dont need to be working in the industry to get it.

After that you must be employed to go any further. ie, Diploma (NVQ) 2 and 3

Would any new entrants be interested in a merged qual that doesnt get you the jib card required to work on new build sites?

Any newbies who dont have a job as a plumber or electrician for that matter, or H&V i suppose consider this qualification?

those coming on here for info on getting into the trade are the ones this will be aimed at i presume?

I would certainly be interested in doing something like this, my main goal is to be a qualified plumber but if i can study electrics too then why not ? the more knowledge you have the beeter imo !

I would certainly be interested in doing something like this, my main goal is to be a qualified plumber but if i can study electrics too then why not ? the more knowledge you have the beeter imo !

i agree it gives a very good insight into several trades. dont think it will give you a jib card though for new build sites, would that be a drawback

Dont think that it would neccessarily be a drawback as such, Now admittedly I am not up on my cards for sites' access but would a CSCS card not be ok ? they are easily obtainable, even if not im sure that the drawback of having to get 1 card is outweighed by the fact you will have more skills !!

maybe i am biased in this as once i have qualified as a plumber and gained some experience i plan to move into the family business of property development, my parents make a fair amount with it and they have no trade skills, imagine if i could do my own plumbing and electrics and my mate who is looking into it with me is a bench joiner ! not much we couldnt do between us so minimising expenditure !!!!

Dont think that it would neccessarily be a drawback as such, Now admittedly I am not up on my cards for sites' access but would a CSCS card not be ok ? they are easily obtainable, even if not im sure that the drawback of having to get 1 card is outweighed by the fact you will have more skills !!

maybe i am biased in this as once i have qualified as a plumber and gained some experience i plan to move into the family business of property development, my parents make a fair amount with it and they have no trade skills, imagine if i could do my own plumbing and electrics and my mate who is looking into it with me is a bench joiner ! not much we couldnt do between us so minimising expenditure !!!!

i think its a good stepping stone, only other draw back may b that after this if you wanted to be a full plumber you would still have to do the diploma l2 and 3 taking proably another 4 years, the l1 should takee 1 year, thats 5 in total

Ive heard that they now will offer a Building services level 2 instead of plum/elec tech certs/ gives u varied skills but you cannot get a trade card so doesnt let you call yourself a plumber or spark or fitter what ever.
aapprentices can still do he nvq, only unemployed school leavers or adults retraining will be affected

wwheres this leave private centres?

sorry for the bump but there seems little in the way of posts on this and it surprises me.

Has nobody been told about this from providers?
do you think its a good idea?
would you pay to go on it or partially pay?
Some units are from the diploma l2, so if you get a job there are 3 units you dont hve to do again, does this sweeten the deal?

cheers fuzzy

[DLMURL="http://www.cityandguilds.com/56819.html?s=4"]Certificate/Diploma in Access to Building Services Engineering | Construction and Building[/DLMURL]

Last edited by a moderator:
im guessing by the hours involved it would be full time only? wich could be a problem for adults re training while holding down a job,im not knocking it just reading it sounds a lot like the tech cert im doing at the moment which will be scrapped(wish i`d been told by the college when i enrolled )

Last edited by a moderator:
it can be done full or part time, or evening, if theres enough people interested centres would run it either way

dont know really, depned on the government

total cost would be same as private centre 3k. gov used to pay majority but now only wanna pay half, colleges prob suplement this and charge about 1k if have to. if your unemployed that 1k will be paid for you, if you dont have a level 2 it will be paid for you, less registration fee prob. so bout £100

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Building Services Level 1 City and Guilds in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Our kitchen mixer tap has started dripping. Like so much of the plumbing in our almost new build bungalow, it is lacking! The plumber didn't...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock