Discuss BTEC HND/HNC and BA Hons Degree Building Services Engineering in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Aqua Mechanica

Hi,

Will be studying this next september, I wanted to prep myself and wondered if anyone had any recommendations on reading material that would be of use, textbooks, etc.

Thank you

Ben Wood

Fair play to you Ben, a good investment for your future and a good way to escape the tools when your body cant hack it anymore.

Try a search on Amazon - JTL Plumbing brings up a few. Must admit I bought one a couple of years ago and didn't learn anything new and it doesn't really help you diagnose problems - more like waffle on how to react to customers and the various regulations. I think my book was NVQ Level 2. I'm guessing you have a better brain than me as you're going for a Degree (good luck!)

However ...

One book I find good (not 100% brilliant but very good) is Central Heating: Fault Finding and Repair by John Reginald. It's not cheap (around £25) but I know I'm not the only one on this forum who has a copy.

Another helpful book (all round) is the Readers Digest DIY Manual which gives a good overview to various domestic construction areas and covers a fair amount on plumbing issues too.

An HNC is a bit more advanced than the stuff needed for an NVQ! Mostly design with lots of calculations.

Ben Get yourself one of these.

[DLMURL="http://www.ciphe.org.uk/Professional/Publications/Plumbing-engineering-Services-Design-Guide/"]Plumbing Engineering Services Design Guide - CIPHE[/DLMURL]

It will give you a bit of an idea and covers a some of the stuff you will get.

Once on the course they will recommend / supply whatever books are most applicable.

Good luck and brush up on your maths;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Normally the college or uni will send you out a reading list prior to the start of the course.

An HNC is a bit more advanced than the stuff needed for an NVQ! Mostly design with lots of calculations.

Ben Get yourself one of these.

[DLMURL="http://www.ciphe.org.uk/Professional/Publications/Plumbing-engineering-Services-Design-Guide/"]Plumbing Engineering Services Design Guide - CIPHE[/DLMURL]

It will give you a bit of an idea and covers a some of the stuff you will get.

Once on the course they will recommend / supply whatever books are most applicable.

Good luck and brush up on your maths;)

agreed the jtl books are worthless for HNC and above!!

the plumbing services guide is hard to follow, the greer book is good

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi. If your involvement in the trade to date is domestic plumbing and heating? I would strongly recommend trying to get site visits to large commercial contracts, where systems, materials, manpower and methods are on display. With the support of engineers to answer the inevitable questions that you will be compelled to ask. Your potential duty on completion of such a degree will require you to design and convey this to clients and labour. Reading books although a necessary part, is a small part in the overall skills required to fore fill your ambition. Good Luck

Hi. If your involvement in the trade to date is domestic plumbing and heating? I would strongly recommend trying to get site visits to large commercial contracts, where systems, materials, manpower and methods are on display. With the support of engineers to answer the inevitable questions that you will be compelled to ask. Your potential duty on completion of such a degree will require you to design and convey this to clients and labour. Reading books although a necessary part, is a small part in the overall skills required to fore fill your ambition. Good Luck

not always possible and not essential, however it would help.

long hard road the HNC/HND are you familier with writting assignments? lots of them and long hard time consuming work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to BTEC HND/HNC and BA Hons Degree Building Services Engineering in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

S
I know this is not the ideal place or time to be looking for work during this tuff time for most companies however, I am due to start my...
Replies
Views
newbie1
N
S
can anyone tell me why the hell im not getting any response when applying for jobs with this C.V.: Tom Schofield 4 Queens drive, Glossop'...
Replies
Views
Puddle
P
A
Anyone looking to become a plumber should aim for these Firstly (4 Years Day Release or Fast Track Company in about 24 weeks in total): - 6129...
Replies
Views
P
French Plumbing Sorry that this is over 4 postings, it was too much for one posting, so please bear with me There is not much difference...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock