Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss British Gas tricks. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was called to quote on a new boiler as BG had told a 91 year old man he needed a new boiler and quoted £2800 to replace a heat only boiler. When i arrived he asked if I could relight it as it had gone out again even after they had "repaired" it by replacing the thermocouple (which was new ) then they removed the electrode lead and left the pilot too short. I couldn't get it to light as you will see by the attached picture i took after removing the case and combustion cover. They had intentionally left it so it would probably go out and not be able to be re ignited , so the old guy would probably panic and get them to replace the boiler at their rip off price. I did replace the boiler and the faulty 3 port valve they didn't pick up on for £1450. 2013-09-23_171600.jpg

They(BG) for some reason only now employ kids. Anyone in their 40s or 50s have no change of getting a job with them.
Kids & course cowboys = poor workmanship & lack of experience!!

However their 24/7 call out service is second to none.

What's age got to do with it?

How old do you think I am. Without looking at my profile?
Sorry Simon please enlighten me, do you work for BG?

In my view experience comes with age, so if you get some spotty yoof out to look at your boiler, that's about all they can do, look!!

Sorry Simon please enlighten me, do you work for BG?

In my view experience comes with age, so if you get some spotty yoof out to look at your boiler, that's about all they can do, look!!

What a load of crap! Expertise comes with knowledge. Blindness and ignorance comes with age.

We are off! Dickie. Experience and understanding are completely different. I personally think your attitude stinks. I would love to put you and a "course cowboy " on a van for two weeks and see who has done better.

I was working on with a level 2 ex squaddy changing a cylinder and heat only boiler today. My old understudy who's only qualification is his ACS . Called me. . Custard is ex commercial gas fitter, 46 years on the tools..... Expert by all accounts.......

Lad was there said...... This :nono: idiot has an in direct copper cylinder with no vent, the old cast bf boiler is pressurised and no prv . Gas is leaking but apparently its ok as it's in his own house! The wiring was sexy too.

This is how it was when we arrived!

Last edited by a moderator:
Without blowing my own trumpet

I have older gas qualified boys asking me for advice and it feels weird.

But I do know my way around a boiler and combustion
That's good Simon & how's your knowledge & understanding of electronics??
Why do you feel weird, surely they're pulling your leg are they??

Ok. If you want my life story

19 left education. Few qualifications
Started plumbing soon after
20 won welsh skill plumb plumber
21 was invited personally to go on bbc3 to compete in young plumber of the year
Done 3 years in college
Only have nvq level 2
Have Dom and com gas

What else do you want to know?
Thanks for sharing young man & I wish you every success in the future.

Ah 25 Simon & are you an indentured time-served tradesman??

Well time serves yes... Tradesman yes. Prefer to think of myself a just honest with respect for people. Always think if the job I'm doing was my last would would I be happy.

Think I'm much like u dickie in some respects. Rebuild two and four stokes at about 11, drove 360s from early age. Worked in foundry every summer making marine boat parts from about 13 to 17. University and then big projects (275m was biggest) now post recession and son happy SE with expanding business partnership 5 - 25 boilers a week, 30 plus services and handful of repairs. 5 men on tools, bird in shop and sales man. Looking to get extra unit shortly.

We are off! Dickie. Experience and understanding are completely different. I personally think your attitude stinks. I would love to put you and a "course cowboy " on a van for two weeks and see who has done better.

I was working on with a level 2 ex squaddy changing a cylinder and heat only boiler today. My old understudy who's only qualification is his ACS . Called me. . Custard is ex commercial gas fitter, 46 years on the tools..... Expert by all accounts.......

Lad was there said...... This :nono: idiot has an in direct copper cylinder with no vent, the old cast bf boiler is pressurised and no prv . Gas is leaking but apparently its ok as it's in his own house! The wiring was sexy too.

This is how it was when we arrived!
Oh it's a very conservative industry & even today I needed to explain at length the pros & cons of certain modern low carbon systems to a very wealthy & highly respected member of our trade. Some people are very reluctant to embrace new technology.

Yes, and I would love to see a course cowboy working in a two squad doing six rads & a combi on a one day install Ermintrude dear boy, I fear they'd still be studying their course cowboy notes as the job was nearing completion.

this started as a thread about an old boy not being treated well by our trade and turned into a chest beating contest well I can pee higher up the wall and I can take the butts out of the trough and smoke them

this started as a thread about an old boy not being treated well by our trade and turned into a chest beating contest well I can pee higher up the wall and I can take the butts out of the trough and smoke them
Very true BB. I can't help myself the line goes out & it just takes a minute to get a bite. Never fails.
Sorry everyone.

Not a chance! My course cowboy friend manages whole house in 12 hours floorboards and gas supply on his jack with copper. I have done two system to combi in one Day when in a roll with gav! But speed is by far the measure of a good plumber. I'm always telling lads that they are not on a price, they are paid by the Hr so work slower!

Not a chance! My course cowboy friend manages whole house in 12 hours floorboards and gas supply on his jack with copper. I have done two system to combi in one Day when in a roll with gav! But speed is by far the measure of a good plumber. I'm always telling lads that they are not on a price, they are paid by the Hr so work slower!
Oh that's good Trudy dear boy, it'll not be long before the course cowboys think they know it all & start up in competition against you!! Happy days!!

I thought you were banned Dickie?
Holding on by the skin of my teeth Terry dear boy. The Mods generously offer me an 'olive branch' to quote a Biblical saying.

In all seriousness I love this forum & I would be sad if I was kicked out, however I do understand how difficult it is for the Mods & Admin controlling any forum.

Well to a degree Trudy. But I'm sure a larger company with raging overheads may not agree.?

Well used to work for a company with few 100m turnover and yes they do like a rush. I used to rush Subbies and labourers ! But from experience more haste less speed! Old proverb. We have combi bashers, generally time served lads with family so the are hungry...... Combi sawp done by 11 rads by 1 and off. Only issue is it makes custard feel like not getting vfm. Occasional issues with workmanship. Bigger companies business models are a mess. Why do u need 3 staff and an office to look after 4 lads? More chiefs than Indians.

Im with AP on this, im 25 too, And the stuff ive learnt from age of 17 im very good at. Ive had a few older plumbers close to twice my age with over 10yrs in the trade ask me questions regarding plumbing. Hate the fact that alot of the older guys try to look down at the 'younger' ones because their knees havnt gone yet :p

Im with AP on this, im 25 too, And the stuff ive learnt from age of 17 im very good at. Ive had a few older plumbers close to twice my age with over 10yrs in the trade ask me questions regarding plumbing. Hate the fact that alot of the older guys try to look down at the 'younger' ones because their knees havnt gone yet :p
Ah of course someone aged 50 with 10 years experience would only have limited knowledge if the trade dear boy, as they're certainly course cowboys. And your point is???
AP et all can talk a good game & I wish I had a quid for all the chaps like that I've come across!!

Another fine cast, my fly nearly hit that one on the nose!

my work was a higher standard when i was less experienced. Experience is not everything ;)

sometimes a fresh atitude and energy is better than an old cogger stuck in his ways.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to British Gas tricks. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock