Search the forum,

Discuss Bristish standards in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

muffinman

right guys, i can get bristish standards for free, though my college.
what bristish standards would come in handy? secoundly if any of you need some let me know?

cheers

The banana curvature british standard.
Im sure I bought some faulty ones

All of the below

utu2y5y7.jpg

Don't want to be a sour puss but the license is for the college only, you could loose your job if you are found distributing Copy Right material to persons out side.

At least if a mod could move the thread into the arms?

(Then could I have BS EN 806 parts 1to5 & anything that is current on heat pumps & solar hot water):wings:

Don't want to be a sour puss but the license is for the college only, you could loose your job if you are found distributing Copy Right material to persons out side.

At least if a mod could move the thread into the arms?

(Then could I have BS EN 806 parts 1to5 & anything that is current on heat pumps & solar hot water):wings:

My understand of the license is that it is for educating purposes only, i.e not for resale.
the license is for the intension of educating, which is all i am intending to do.
All i am intending to do is to supply your with British standard for educating yourselves and other employes there for i am in no way in breach of the terms and conditions. :)

My understand of the license is that it is for educating purposes only, i.e not for resale.
the license is for the intension of educating, which is all i am intending to do.
All i am intending to do is to supply your with British standard for educating yourselves and other employes there for i am in no way in breach of the terms and conditions. :)
I would check on that if I were you, that wasn't the case a few years ago when the college I was at had that license & if you think about it & using your argument, anyone looking at a BS is only doing it for one of two reasons - one they what to be educated or two they can't sleep. :wink:

It is a kind offer muffinman & your sentiment are right but this is open forum & you never know who may be watching !! I am just thinking about your job thats all.

I would check on that if I were you, that wasn't the case a few years ago when the college I was at had that license & if you think about it & using your argument, anyone looking at a BS is only doing it for one of two reasons - one they what to be educated or two they can't sleep. :wink:

It is a kind offer muffinman & your sentiment are right but this is open forum & you never know who may be watching !! I am just thinking about your job thats all.

To be honest with you i cant see how i would lose my job. i dont work for the college

I'll have them then....if no one gets in trouble!

ive got load just need some to help me put them in a drop box, also is there anymore that you think would be handy to have just did a quick count up and so far i have ÂŁ5000 worth of them talk about geting your moneys worth

Totally in breach of copyright and it is you who is committing the offence not the person who receives the copies.

Any one of us can go to our local public library and look at any BS for free. But we and libraries themselves are not entitled to print them and distribute them.
In fact even publishing a quote from them on the internet (in a forum or on a blog for example) may be a breach of copyright depending on what part you are quoting.

Totally in breach of copyright and it is you who is committing the offence not the person who receives the copies.

Any one of us can go to our local public library and look at any BS for free. But we and libraries themselves are not entitled to print them and distribute them.
In fact even publishing a quote from them on the internet (in a forum or on a blog for example) may be a breach of copyright depending on what part you are quoting.

you are right but the licencing says for that printing or saving a copy to your hard drive is allowed with the intention of educations there for i am not breaching copyright.

you are right but the licencing says for that printing or saving a copy to your hard drive is allowed with the intention of educations there for i am not breaching copyright.

To the absolute letter of the law you may not be (although I think that is questionable!*) but the spirit of the law, you definitely are!

*I would interpret the "educational purposes" part of the permission as the right to use the material in a teaching context. You are not running a training session, nor a training establishment. You are proposing to share a whole swathe of material, not anything specific or targeted to any subject being taught or discussed. I think any other interpretation is just playing semantics...

To the absolute letter of the law you may not be (although I think that is questionable!*) but the spirit of the law, you definitely are!

*I would interpret the "educational purposes" part of the permission as the right to use the material in a teaching context. You are not running a training session, nor a training establishment. You are proposing to share a whole swathe of material, not anything specific or targeted to any subject being taught or discussed. I think any other interpretation is just playing semantics...

i am not running an training session or a training establishment. what i suppose you could call it is a studying achieve correct me if i am wrong. the material is not for resale but only to view on. almost like going to a library.

i am not running an training session or a training establishment. what i suppose you could call it is a studying achieve correct me if i am wrong. the material is not for resale but only to view on. almost like going to a library.

LOL it's a "almost like" bit that trips you up. Let's not beat about the bush - you know, I know, we ALL know it's an iffy thing to do and you're trying to find a way to make it less iffy.

You're 99.99% certain to have no comebacks but the person or establishment who originally got the licence might get hassled. Any GSR can subscribe to the standards library through the Gas Safe website. There really is no need for this...

This thread has cracked me up your all warning him over copy right rules over something we can all access through different avenues yet not 2 weeks ago you were all trying to find away of cloning xsol and adapt from a BG laptop talk about double standards

This thread has cracked me up your all warning him over copy right rules over something we can all access through different avenues yet not 2 weeks ago you were all trying to find away of cloning xsol and adapt from a BG laptop talk about double standards

haha. did they find away?

Not at all. We were all fully aware of the copyright material on the BG laptop as well. And I never discouraged muffinman from what he's proposing to do. I'm just making him aware that what he's doing is not permitted in the terms he thinks it is...

Am I the only one who thinks that it is ridiculous in this day and age that all British Standards are not openly available on the internet for free?

Copyright
Copyright subsists in all BSI publications. BSI also holds the copyright, in the UK, of the publications of the international standardization bodies. Except as permitted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988 no extract may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system or transmitted in any form or by any means – electronic, photocopying, recording or otherwise – without prior written permission from BSI.
This does not preclude the free use, in the course of implementing the standard, of necessary details such as symbols, and size, type or grade designations. If these details are to be used for any other purpose than implementation then the prior written permission of BSI must be obtained.

Last edited:
so what all of you are trying to say is not bother thats fine. no worries ive got the ones i want on my laptop just thought it would have been a nice idea seen as i no how expensive they are to buy and if you can get them for free good luck to yourself

Am I the only one who thinks that it is ridiculous in this day and age that all British Standards are not openly available on the internet for free?

Nope, you're definitely not. We are expected to adhere to standards, but are expected to pay a fortune to see those standards! Totally ridiculous.

You are right, Ray.
We all know you are right.

Just pointing out that what OP is doing is against the rules, regardless of whether we think it is a good think.

Another thing about access to BS. Our library allows access to many things by logging on at home with my library ID. (how great is that !!!)
BUT not BS.
These can only be viewed in person on the computers at Kent libraries.
BECAUSE
that is the limit of the permission to access them paid for by the library service.

If OP contacts BSI or the legitimate source where he obtained these docuents from he will find that he was not entitled to make further copies available to others.

I think he is only allowed to sort his own digital copy if he paid for the right to do that
Making new digital copies (pdf or other files) is prohibited under copyright law in the same way as photocopying a book always was when I was a youngster way back then.

who even cares about the copyright! does anybody want copys of the bristish standards i can put them in a dropbox not a problem .

right guys, i can get bristish standards for free, though my college.
what bristish standards would come in handy? secoundly if any of you need some let me know?

cheers

I would check with your college before you start copying and handing them out, they are covered under copyright and licence

I would check with your college before you start copying and handing them out, they are covered under copyright and licence

this whole fourm has gone off topic are they any brisitsh standard you think would come in handy (for education purposes only)

And as an aside for the mods on the site, if you accept/condone the distribution of copyright material could the site get hammered?

And as an aside for the mods on the site, if you accept/condone the distribution of copyright material could the site get hammered?

No, we don't condone this. Any copying or dissemination of copyrighted material is performed by the individual of their own free will and accord. This behaviour is not endorsed by the UK Plumbers Forums, its owner or any other of his interests.

Actually, I've just have a quick squint at the forum rules and spotted this....

"Copyright

Do not post copyright content on the forum. All trademarks and logo's are property of their respective owners."

I am taking this to also mean the intention to distribute copyrighted material, the exception being MI's which are freely available anyway.

So, basically, if you want to do it that's up to you. Please don't mention it on UKPF.

Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Bristish standards in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, My current hot water system needs to be replaced. Anyone got any suggestions or can recommend any plumbers around Derrimut area that won't rip me off? An office guy recommended me to apply for government rebates and get it installed through timetosave.com.au. How reliable is this...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
  • Article
A Plumber Who Worked Illegally Gets A Suspended Sentence After Falsely Claiming To Be Gas Safe Registered. A Plumber in Herefordshire was prosecuted after Hereford Trading Standards Team found that he was falsely claiming to be on the Gas Safe Register when he was not, putting members of the...
Replies
Views
Hi all, this is probably a daft question but I need to run my cold feed from one side of my wall mounted boiler to the other. Running it beneath the boiler is difficult with lots of obstacles, is it okay if I run soldered copper over / across the top of the boiler? It'll be about 4" off the top...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and pebbles!) We saw that the pipe that takes water down the gutter was visibly full to the top. He said he will return with a coil to push through...
Replies
Views
S
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock