Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Boiler overheating High Temps in the Underfloor Heating Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. Mossy007

Mossy007 New Member

Just pm’ed you some information

2. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Spot on and there's your problem

Your boiler will only modulate down to around 7kw and your biggest loop is 1.9kw

So your way under the min the boiler can cope with

You have a couple of options but it's not going to be cheap and involves ripping up some floor boards

• Like Like x 1
  3. Mossy007

Mossy007 New Member

This
    Whats my options please?

4. ShaunCorbs

Your easiest option is to put a rad somewhere on the main returns that can increase the capacity upto 7kw

Some more options eg low loss header or change the boiler for one that has a lower modulation rating

• Like Like x 1
  5. Mossy007

Mossy007 New Member

6. Mossy007

Mossy007 New Member

This is excellent information. Will this definitely sort out the issue?

7. ShaunCorbs

If you can get the lowest loop upto 7 kw yes

At the moment it can't get rid of the heat eg it's making 7kw and only requires 1.8 kw etc

8. Mossy007

Mossy007 New Member

The problem is finding a competent plumber to explain this to. I have had so much conflicting information. What you have advised seems to be spot on! Is this why the boiler cycles on and off? Is this normal for underfloor heating? The rad option is probably going to be difficult as my boiler is in the kitchen and it is a tiled floor. Would you recommend a boiler replacement make and model?

9. ShaunCorbs

That's normal esp with the influx of fast training etc

Yes can't get rid of the heat quick enough

And unless everything is calculated eg sized right and loadings so they meet the min

I don't think your going to get one with a low enough modulation eg down to one or two kw

10. Mossy007

Mossy007 New Member

So my only option is to fit a radiator?

11. ShaunCorbs

Yes to bump it upto 7kw

Or to live with it, which isn't the best option

12. Mossy007

Mossy007 New Member

You seem like an expert. Auto bypass, pipe thermostat, mixer valve all these potential repair options that have been advised by different users/ plumbers will any of these not do the job? What’s the worst that can happen if I left it as it is? Baxi have changed the thermostat and the issue of boiler overheating and switching off has not been apparent lately. Will I need to change thermostat every couple of years on the boiler?

13. ShaunCorbs

Auto bypass will help,

Pipe thermostat won't do bugger all
    Same with a blending valve

And will put undue wear on the boiler but shouldn't harm it that much

• Like Like x 1
  14. Mossy007

Mossy007 New Member

I shall look at the radiator option for now. Thankyou so much for all your informative advise. It’s truly really appreciated.

15. ShaunCorbs

More than welcome