Search the forum,

Discuss Boiler leak on supply/return pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

Vonsprockett

Hi Chaps

I have a leaky pipe in my boiler, so keep losing pressure on the central heating loop. The 22mm pipe has a bend in it so I was wondering if I could replace it with a braided hose but after buying one with 22mm speedfit connectors at each end I noticed that the actual internal hose was not 22mm. Will this cause a problem due to pressure if I fit it. It's not anywhere near gas and I've already replaced the PRV and the filling loop. I have attached a pic showing the faulty pipe with the plumbers mait on it.

Attachments

• j00004714850_nicaofkm_t.png
    j00004714850_nicaofkm_t.png
    107.6 KB · Views: 66
I wouldn't:

a. Doubtful if a braided hose will take the temperatures and pressure for any length of time.
b. It will seriously restrict the flow of water around your system.
c. If, as is likely, it fails in due course, you'll have a hot water flood on your hands.

Get someone in to bend and fit a replacement piece. Freeze pipe at floor level, isolate boiler at valve, cut old pipe leaving as much straight as possible from floor, bend up and fit new piece, solder carefully to frozen pipe, compression fitting to boiler. If not enough pipe above floor to solder after freezing, use compression straight coupling. Alternatively (to freezing) drain down as far as necessary then definitely solder, re-fill with new inhibitor.

If you can solder you might be able to make a piece up with two 45 degree elbows. I suspect compression fittings would be too bulky for the space available.

Thanks - the flow question was my main concern. The bend is too slight for elbows, so really need a piece bending. As I don't have a 22mm bender I guess best option would be to get someone in to replace the pipe. How much should I expect to pay for this if I drain the system before they arrive ?

Looking at your picture, there is definitely enough space to use two 45 degree bends to make up the offset you require. If the offset that is required is at least 22mm centre to centre then it can be done.

if you employ someone let them do the whole job, nothing worse than having to work round someone trying to save money, who then blames you for issues they cause.

Doesn't need draining to repair anyway. Plus you can't beat seeing the actual leak before you fix it. Plus any saving will be lost with that crap round the pipe to come off.

I may be wrong. But that plastic flexi looks like condensate! If that has split, it will drip and rot through copper in weeks!
Looks like it may have caused your leak on the bend and looks like it's causing more corrosion on the pipework below.

Also bear in mind that you need 1m of copper pipe from the boiler flow and return before changing to plastic or flexi so if it is within 1m of the boiler you can't use the flexi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Boiler leak on supply/return pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, can anyone tell me which pipes are flow and return please. I removed old leaking 2008 C26 firebird oil boiler in June . We have now completed damp proofing works & I need to extend these 4 pipes to go through the wall and into a new boiler room. This area will then be stud wall and...
Replies
Views
I have a "Firebird Envirogreen Condensing Combi Oil Boiler 26kW" a part has went and I can't find it anywhere, I was at every plumbers merchant near me but they all need to ring Firebird who are closed till next week. I wonder if anyone can help me find this part please? It's a pressure sensor...
Replies
Views
Hi All, I need your advise as I'm really concerned here. I only just had regular boiler replaced with combi (Vaillant ecoFIT Pure 25kw). I had few surveys done and everyone stated the gas supply pipe from the meter to the boiler must be changed from current 15mm to 22mm. The plumber I used said...
Replies
Views
Hi, Over the past few months, my wife and I have noticed a constant pulsing sound throughout the house which is particularly noisy at night (this could be as a result of us noticing the sound more when there is less environmental noise). Unfortunately, it is severely disrupting our sleep, so we...
Replies
Views
My Grant combi oil boiler is giving me quite a headache at the moment. When I returned home last Friday I'd no heating or hot water. An engineer called the next day and diagnosed a faulty pressure switch. This was changed and everything seemed ok. However then the boiler began to lose pressure...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock