Search the forum,

Discuss Grant combi oil boiler problems. in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

My Grant combi oil boiler is giving me quite a headache at the moment. When I returned home last Friday I'd no heating or hot water. An engineer called the next day and diagnosed a faulty pressure switch. This was changed and everything seemed ok. However then the boiler began to lose pressure. I noticed that if I checked the pressure again after topping it up to the required level it would be climbing above 2.4 bar which I think led to it venting the water. There must have been pressure in the system when I topped it up and then the additional pressure connected with what was in there, but not being seen by the pressure gauge and then vented off. The engineer next diagnosed a faulty expansion chamber so that was changed and all seemed fine apart from the pressure problem. Could there have been a blockage in the system somewhere that the new increase in water pressure was forcing it's way past to add to what was already there thus resulting in too much pressure followed by venting off?
The next problem to arise was that when I went to check the pressure the power light was flashing off and on. Engineer diagnosed a fauty PCB board and replace it. That was fine. I could get hot water and heat but the venting problem was still there.
Today I come home and there are no lights on the control panel. The boiler is simply not working. It seems the new PCB board is now U/S. I can't get it looked at until next week so it's going to be a chilly Xmas.
Can anyone advise as to what may be going on here? The boiler is 12 years old now so maybe it's just on its' last legs.

Sounds like the engineer is just chucking parts at it and see what sticks

You need a new service engineer not a new boiler!
We look after many of those boilers your man don't know his bottom from his elbow.
At the very least if he don't know he should have spoke to Grant technical.
In stark contrast to other oil boiler manufacturers they will talk the inexperienced through problems regardless of how old boiler is.

Reply to Grant combi oil boiler problems. in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up to 1.3. I've had an engineer look inside the boiler and he can't see anything wrong. I've checked the pipes all over the house and cannot see any...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I have changed the 3 port actuator Honeywell head however this doesn’t seem to have solved the issue, does this mean that the programmer is faulty? Or is...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
Hi they used to say as a last resort you could discharge the D2 pipework at high level and turn it back to the wall. Similar to a combi boiler. I have just looked back through the regs this seems to have changed and it isn't mentioned now. It now mentions if at high level it should be discharged...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock