Discuss Boiler installation issue with wrong flue in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

saybut

Hi,

Hoping someone here can offer some advice, just registered to ask this question so can't offer anything meaningful to the forum myself!

Just had a gas engineer out (gas safe) and we've got an issue with our combi boiler where the wrong flue has been installed on it and it has melted because of the heat. I live in a managed block of flats but own the flat. The flat is just under 10 years old and the boiler was installed with it.

Also, the engineer said that there were no structural supports installed with the wrong flue, so when it has melted it has collapsed back in on itself. Got a feeling but not 100% sure that it was installed by a builder rather than engineer & next step is to find out if they are gas safe or not.

Basically I'm trying to find out if it's illegal or just bad practice to install the wrong kind of flue. because we live in top floor flat we'll need scaf. and quite a bit of time so probably looking quite expensive.

If anyone could guide me at all (going to speak to gas safe tomorrow and see if they can do an inspection) it would be greatly apprecaited.

Many thanks.

Mark

Hi Mark ,

Unfortunately there is a lot of this going on as more and more customers go for the cheapest quote and .......
To be honest you will be waisting you time and you will not get anywhere as they only show interest if there is fatality .
I did report exactly the same story about 3 years ago , result never ever heard back from them ....
Could you not fit a vertical flue if there is a flat roof ? Could you not relocate boiler so its easy to drill 5" flue out ?
Your engineer should be able to make a good suggestions of boiler positioning and running flue

Hi Mark ,
To be honest you will be waisting you time and you will not get anywhere as they only show interest if there is fatality .

Sorry SGI, I can't agree with this. If its in a block of flats, and the boilers were all put in when the block was built, then the chances are that there are more dangerous installations in the same block. For his own peace of mind, and out of a sense of responsibility to his neighbours, the OP has to report this.

Also, if there are several appliances with the same problem, it might be cheaper to solve the problem collectively - for example one lot of scaffolding might cover several flats.

Last edited by a moderator:
still needs to be riddored by initial engineer and hse can and sometimes will go back to the builder if its that bad, plus the rest of the apppliances in the block would need checking if one is really bad!

Sorry SGI, I can't agree with this. If its in a block of flats, and the boilers were all put in when the block was built, then the chances are that there are more dangerous installations in the same block. For his own peace of mind, and out of a sense of responsibility to his neighbours, the OP has to report this.

Also, if there are several appliances with the same problem, it might be cheaper to solve the problem collectively - for example one lot of scaffolding might cover several flats.

I agree with you Ray , worked on a contract and boilers were fitted by non GSR engineers every day ,
Worked on a new build : boilers , solar , heat pumps ,UHWC + all plumbing were fitted by learn on site man

Last edited:
Hi all,

Thanks and really appreciate the advice and quick replies.. Yeah that was one of my concerns that if ours is bad then whats to say that others flats in the block dont have the same installation. Think it numbers up to 40 flats.

I'll get in touch with GS tomorrow and our management company here to see what they say.

For ref too it's not a flat roof.

If anyone is interested more than happy to let you know what GS say.

Thanks again.

Mark

yep will do, out of the country for a couple of weeks soon, hoping may happen before then but will update when back if not,

Hi all,

Just a quick update on this. Contacted the management company of the building who have sent GSE round already. He's confirmed what previous E said last night and said he was shocked at the way it has been done, i.e. no supports for flue, let alone wrong flue being installed.

All other flats will be checked now which is good news.

The GSE who contracts for the mgmgt company seems to think that it is going to be their issue to sort out & pay for, or it will have to be taken up with the builders by them rather than us as it was all installed when it was built.

Need this (cost & responsibility etc) confirmed by mgmt company rather than just the E who came round but today it looks like they may be responsible for it.

Also I noticed this morning that the flue system & boiler must have been installed by two different sets companies (not sure if that is good practice/nothing wrong with it?). The reason I say this is that on the boiler there is a completion sheet by builder who installed, majority of it is filled out but the section about the flue/ventilation etc has no details and just a big X through it, i.e. not for him to deal with/already done.

Final question was going to be, do I still need to speak to GS board or if both engineers who have been round are registered, I guess they have a duty to inform if there are more serious problems so I don't necessarily have to contact them now?

Will update when I get more info/things confirmed.

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Boiler installation issue with wrong flue in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock