Discuss Boiler input and output? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good evening all,

If I designed a heating system to work on a 20kw boiler -

Would the boilers input or output be 20kw?

Please can someone explain the meaining!

Thanks

Heat input is how much energy you put into the boiler to get its output. So due to efficiency losses you might find a boiler with a 20kw output has a heat input of say 22kw. If you have sized a house and need 20kw you would be looking for a boiler with an OUTPUT of 20kw

Most boiler manufacturers quote outputs

Last edited by a moderator:
If I designed a heating system to work on a 20kw boiler
That's putting the cart before the horse!

The first thing to do is calculate the heat loss from your house. The easiest way to do this is by using the Boiler Size Calculator. Manufacturers normally quote the boiler output, so you need a boiler of the size given by the calculator, or next largest.

This assumes that you have a hot water cylinder. If you want to install a combi boiler, you need to size it according to the cold water flow rate and the demand - number of taps/showers running at the same time. A combi boiler will normally be larger than the size given by the calculator, so it will be OK for heating as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Boiler input and output? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Hi, My current hot water system needs to be replaced. Anyone got any suggestions or can recommend any plumbers around Derrimut area that won't...
Replies
Views
Back