Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss bg prices in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

lame plumber

just did a system clean on a ideal mexico installed in 2008 by BG, rads are clogged! I found the original quote and invoice in the manual, £6250 before discounts that lead to a price of £5260!!!!! all to swop like for like floor standing boiler, but new controls. Included a powerflush and magna clean. Also £98-00 to fit earth bond on meter pipework, consumer unit and meter in same cupboard, they used 6 foot of 10mm earth cable and an earth clip!!!!!!!!!

The lady in the house was in her eighties when sold this product by a trusted british institution!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please dont tell me BG are a trust worthy company ever again, I knew they were bad but you could have replaced the whole system for what they charged for a boiler swap!!!!!!!! and had enough over for a weekend in Paris with the missus

:censored::censored::censored:

I agree 150% I am going to look at some ones boiler next week that was a straight combi swap by BG done a year ago, she is 80 and they charged £5000 to do it. they did the change over in 1/2 day so they could have power flushed it and until I look I don't think they put a maganaclene on the new combi either. I worked for them for a year and i quit when I saw some of the work there contractors did.How on earth can they not overcharge when they have shareholders to pay. We don't. People think they are reliable, I just saw someone who needed a leak on their boiler sorted last week Friday, BG customer, the engineer came out and said he couldn't get the new heat exchanger until today, So I went round there to try and get one sooner but couldn't so I converted it into a sealed system to stop the the leak. I went there today and they couldn't do it they had accidentally cancelled the order, now they are coming back on Monday. That is disgusting. No heat all that time and they need a new immersion heater which is also BG so no hot water. They are Danish couple in quality rented accommodation. Doesn't say much for England does it?

i well hear you all but things are changed down here ......lost a job about 4 weeks ago to bg as they priced conversion with new combi at 2.8k i was 2.9k but they offered 5 years manufacture and 2 years from them guarantee + CUSTOMeR RE SIGHN his home care TOO

UNBELIEVABLE

well if they are competing properly lets hope the work quality doesnt plummet even more

Agree or not with there prices you have to put most of the blame at the customer. If there customers got a few quotes and went for a local engineer they would have to bring prices down to compete. If this happend across the country they would probably struggle to not go under tbh.

you cant blame them for the price if the customer accepts it.

poor workmanship on the other hand is not on.

Last edited:
Not really interested in what BG charge. If people are too stupid not to get a second and third estimate to compare then they deserve what they pay.

If however you pay rolls royce money you would want rolls royce service. imho.

That is what lets them down, the contractors who work for them are not BG and they are the ones with poor workmanship. I have seen evidence of it so many times and it is the biggest cause of their bad rep, in my opinion, although their ability to let customers down because they are too stretched with manpower is monumentally bad.

Does anyone have thoughts on my following statement with regards to comment about stopping a leak on a heat exchanger:- Here goes, if the heat exchanger is cast iron, it has a larger percentage of carbon in it than steel in rads, therefore when the the action of corrosion takes place in a system the cast iron heat exchanger will work like a sacrificial anode that used to go in hot water cylinders. so the heat exchanger will start to leak before the rads do, unless rads are cast iron too.

i well hear you all but things are changed down here ......lost a job about 4 weeks ago to bg as they priced conversion with new combi at 2.8k i was 2.9k but they offered 5 years manufacture and 2 years from them guarantee + CUSTOMeR RE SIGHN his home care TOO

UNBELIEVABLE

Seems to depend on the time of year and how busy they are. We used to be a grand cheaper regardless but every now and again they beat us. Also I think the defenceless older people tend to take the rack rate whereas the younger ones do beat their salespeople up ( not literally ) and get a better deal.

i quoted first for the work , wish i was after them , and what i could not understand is how they managed to get customer with new boiler on 7 years boiler guarantee to sign a HOME CARE pack too :) lol

i quoted first for the work , wish i was after them , and what i could not understand is how they managed to get customer with new boiler on 7 years boiler guarantee to sign a HOME CARE pack too :) lol

cos bg only warranty the boiler for a yr, and tell custarrds its home care thereafter, they dont mention manufacturers warranties as its branded to them

I love bg's prices. They're the most famous and successful plumbing firm in the uk and they charge a premium for their services because they realise, unlike a lot of other companies, that what we do is skilled work. More pimlicos and bgs please.

I love bg's prices. They're the most famous and successful plumbing firm in the uk and they charge a premium for their services because they realise, unlike a lot of other companies, that what we do is skilled work. More pimlicos and bgs please.
Their installers are rubbish, they might be quick but technically useless, I have seen enough of there work to say that with accuracy it is not biased since I saw some of it when I worked for them and when I told them they said they can't do anything about that is how useless they are. I am shocked that someone is praising them so highly.

Worst one i saw, is a baxi WM wall mount in kitchen, upgrade to combi vaillant pro24 in cyl cupboard, on to fully pumped y plan all in cyl cupboard, 6 trv's , 22mm gas up outside 3m, rad off in bathroom to towel rail, mag clean, Drayton RF stat. The cost ? £5200 this is in Castleford not London after discount lol, I had been servicing Baxi for 12 years but due to mrs in hospital at the time they never bothered me, as I could have got one of lads to sort it, anyhow serviced it one year on..............wow what a mess
magnaclean on flow not return!
only 1 talon clip screwed on gas, other 2 were just clipped on pipe for show, vertical run.
compression brass elbows on bath rad tails, old rad 600x900mm k1 to TR 500mm so 200 mm clothes line on each side.
Both guys smoked in his loft, he had tabs to prove!
general pipework shocking not one clip anywhere.
i was gutted for them, and of course We would have done a better job cheaper!
Supervisor called twice, they never got anywhere, they would have done had I been involved earlier 1 year on was too late!

That is the sort of thing I saw and see all the time, An airing cupboard was converted to fully pumped with new cylinder, and BG power flush at £800. the vent pipe was in the wrong place entirely, when I told the supervisor he said they can't do anything about it the company is too big. So I said that means that every 4 or 5 years you get to do another powerflush at £800 on the samne house? He just shrugged his shoulders.

Their installers are rubbish, they might be quick but technically useless, I have seen enough of there work to say that with accuracy it is not biased since I saw some of it when I worked for them and when I told them they said they can't do anything about that is how useless they are. I am shocked that someone is praising them so highly.
I'm not praising their competence mate, I'm praising their business acumen. I've seen some howlers from bg engineers but I can tolerate poor workmanship from a firm way more expensive than me, it's the cowboy's who undercut to win work they couldn't compete for on quality that wind me up.

I'm not praising their competence mate, I'm praising their business acumen. I've seen some howlers from bg engineers but I can tolerate poor workmanship from a firm way more expensive than me, it's the cowboy's who undercut to win work they couldn't compete for on quality that wind me up.

I think I see where your coming fm however I hate poor workmanship whoever does it!!, moreso if they are charging over the top prices for poor work

I agree on both counts I just get upset that a company that big with all those resources cant do better by the customer.

this thread caught my eye,my window cleaner is on BG gas plan they do a great job keeping his old ferrolli going,but the rads were a bit cold on the end of the circuit,BG were trying to tout a powerflush 800 quid,i called round all downstairs rads on 15mm plastic,2 mins balancing chucked some inhibitor in 60 quid all well and good (mates rates)

this thread caught my eye,my window cleaner is on BG gas plan they do a great job keeping his old ferrolli going,but the rads were a bit cold on the end of the circuit,BG were trying to tout a powerflush 800 quid,i called round all downstairs rads on 15mm plastic,2 mins balancing chucked some inhibitor in 60 quid all well and good (mates rates)

That is exactly right, tomorrow I am going to balnce someones rads since one is not working, although I think I may take a bit longer than 4 minutes, maybe I am a bit slow, I won't know 'til I get there. BG don't even do powerflush right anyway, I had to redo a house they did because there job didn't work, but for £400 open vented my did it properly.

That is exactly right, tomorrow I am going to balnce someones rads since one is not working, although I think I may take a bit longer than 4 minutes, maybe I am a bit slow, I won't know 'til I get there. BG don't even do powerflush right anyway, I had to redo a house they did because there job didn't work, but for £400 open vented my did it properly.

make sure :

-visual
-tee
-chat
-visual
-tt
-wp
-analyser
-low rattio
-high ratio
-fill up service/maintenance paper
-chat
-tee
-this time ask for biscuits
-turn all hot rads off
-if last one hot then just slow down the kitchen one
-if last one not hot
-go to van get wd40
-turn boiler off
-go back to van for dust sheet
-put protection on the floor around faulty trv
-remove head
-spray some wd40
-tee
-go back put boiler on
-check if that rad is working
-if yes go around and make sure all rads are hot
-if no open fully lock-shield
-if still no luck rebalance the system

Should be all done in 15 min

How near to the job is your van? I may have to park up a bit of a distance. Tea, chat, biscuits they all take time, and you can't drink 2 cups of tea in 15 mins, I know I can't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to bg prices in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock