Search the forum,

Discuss Best thermostat location in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
what do you thinks best location hallway or living room new build..

Hall way

Also neck height no higher or lower. Is that meant to be right? Can't remember the reason why. But somebody said to me once 'where you would wear a scalf to keep you warm' and it stuck in my mind.

Also neck height no higher or lower. Is that meant to be right? Can't remember the reason why. But somebody said to me once 'where you would wear a scalf to keep you warm' and it stuck in my mind.

1.5m off the floor unless it's for a disabled customer then set height that is best for them

1.5m off the floor unless it's for a disabled customer then set height that is best for them
Is it just more to do with access then? I was lead to believe at the time it was kinda the height you wanted to monitor the temperature.

Is it just more to do with access then? I was lead to believe at the time it was kinda the height you wanted to monitor the temperature.

Yes gives the best accuracy and best of both words bottom not to cold and top not to hot etc

I was in a house last week where the guys wireless roomstat was screwed to his kitchen wall near the oven so when he cooked his tea his heating cut off as stat came up to temp , crazy , lucky it was simple case of unscrewing back plate and left it loose for him to try different locations,

I need to get more techie with this heating lark. I'm nearly always in the house so the things that turn the heating on when you're on the way home won't work for me.

But the times I'm too hot in the bedroom (not in the nice way) yet it's too cold in the living rooms etc is way too often.

What would i need to regulate the rooms better?

Depends what's System you got already ?

Do you have trv on your rads if not get some installed

Also do you have a thermostat

But if you have the thermostat fitted in the hallway make sure you do not put a TRV on the radiator in the hall. It needs to be 2 X lockshield valves

1.5 m from the floor, we all know heat rises so this is meant to be the ideal height for sensing the room temp for an average adult height. Too high up and its a bit warmer and too low down its a bit cooler. Keep it away from opening doors, windows, drafts and any heat sources. The amount of time I've seen them next to a radiator is ridiculous. Hallway or landing is my preference and No TRV in the same room as the room stat is a must.

For a system controlled by a single thermostat to work reasonably it needs to be in a position that cools and heats at roughly the same average rate as the occupied rooms and is not affected by local influences such as point sources of heat, windows/doors being openened, direct sun-light etc. The downstairs hall, preferably near the centre of the house, is a the usual choice. A living room can work okay provided it is not 'sunny' and secondary sources of heat, such as a wood-burner or radiant electric fire are not used, etc. Unfortunately, these constraints usually rule out living rooms.

C.

But the times I'm too hot in the bedroom (not in the nice way) yet it's too cold in the living rooms etc is way too often.

What would i need to regulate the rooms better?

Thoughtful and careful balancing is probably the thing to try first and it can work wonders. This is particularly effective if it's your own house so you can take your time and try various approaches to see which works best.

Making the top floor a separate zone works well but only if you get the controls right. The trap to avoid is that the bedroom zone often requires very little power (as you say, your's is too hot) which means that if it is not synchronised with the downstairs zone you'll get boiler short-cycling when the bedroom zone is on but the rest of the house is off. I would put the zone programmer/thermostat in the master bedroom because a landing position will probably be too heavily influenced by heat rising from the ground floor zone.

Short-cycling is really annoying for bedroom zones because of the expansion/contraction noise which works as a pretty effective alarm clock. So be prepared to take up a few floorboards and get to work with the hessian wrap.

C.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Best thermostat location in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I have a PRV located in a heated plant room that is between a pair of stop cocks. It was installed to keep pressure under 3 Bar a couple of years ago but I have noticed an area of verdigris on the piece from the main body to the gauge. I wondered if this might be sign of a leak / trouble or...
Replies
Views
I
I've had my tado system in my new build for 5 years now and it's been fine. Yesterday morning I changed the batteries on the second floor thermostat and now it's not switching on the boiler to heat that floor. The thermostat display is fine and the app is fine. All systems say they are fine and...
Replies
Views
Hi I'm having issues with my wireless Honeywell thermostat. It's sat in the living room, set at 18C currently. It makes my Worcester Greenstar 18Ri to short cycle. So, the moment it gets cold outside my boiler works for about a minute, then stops, and starts again in about 5 minutes, then...
Replies
Views
It's not every day I deal with 110mm soil pipes, therefore I do not have a selection of different fittings at hand to try what combination fits my needs. I have therefore been trying to locate on- line the actual sizes eg length of push-fit tee, spread of branch, before I can purchase the best...
Replies
Views
Hi. A new house regulation for a 2 zone heating system because it's bigger that 150sqm. I'm I right in saying zone 1 should be all of the downstairs radiators and zone 2 all of the upstairs radiators ? I have thermostat room programmer down the stairs and another one upstairs. I think the two...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock