Search the forum,

Discuss Beeeees in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

kris

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Afternoon all. Today im running in pipes for my local football team at there sponsors lounge which is huge cabins all joined together . Its on standard wooden joists and underneath that is ply nailed to underside if joists. So about an hour ago i was lifting a hatch near the boiler as most rads ive done and hatches down . Anyway when i lifted the chipboard there was about a thousand bees all buzing about the glass wool. Now me being big man ran a mile. Once i came back i was gona have fun with blow torch only ive been told i cant as they are protected. Im not sure if this is case as not exactly a shortage of them. Any of you guys came accross this. I know shoulve posted in arms but written it now . Cheers

My old man kept bees and as for them beeeeing protected , ball cocks :). No sensible bee keeeper is going to beeeee able to get them out of the insulation unless he is very lucky, as he would have to find the queen and pop her in a box and encourage all the rest to walk up hill into the box to join her. Meanwhile all the little ****ed off workers will be zooming round the house looking for revenge! Now if they where all sat there hanging off a beam as a swarm, anyone could pop up, bang the beam hard so they drop gently into your prepositioned box below, bit of hessian sack over the top, puff of smoke and into your car ready to go to a nice empty hive at home, as long as the car windows shut, or youll lose a few. Oh the joys of helping the old man with his bees, the swollen face, sore arms etc etc.

Re blow torch and bees, foolish trick as you wont get the ones flying around but sure as hell, your sweaty pheromones of fear will let them know your upto no good and with some folks 10 plus stings can be terminal, one if your hypersensitive :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeh there not, found that out this afternoon , this morning it was the groundsman told me this but turns out he was speakin tosh , but theres a guy coming tomorow and its a pain in ar$e as its right next to boiler where i need to get under floor, oh well il put apprentice in bee suit (boiler suit) tomorow, cheers folks

leave them be and you'll have some lovely honey there next year

I've got a bumble bees taken up residence in our cavity they come in and out through an old hole overflow pipe from when I did the bathroom. It's quite therapeutic watching them go in and out.

ive always fancied keeping bee's but missus has overruled them being in the garden :icon9:

Guy that moved into my old house kept them for a while. He soon got rid when they set about his wife one day.

Anyway when i lifted the chipboard there was about a thousand bees all buzing about the glass wool. Now me being big man ran a mile. Once i came back i was gona have fun with blow torch...
Best get a local beekeeper, and with his help:

So first I would try locating where the main colony is. If it is behind the chipboard or plasterboards, than you can try using FLIR thermal imager. The living colony is kept at 37 degrees, so would be visible as a warmspot on the wall/floor.

Than try making a hole near it, opposite to their normal exit. Use hand drill and try minimising the vibrations (which would agitate them). Plug the hole until you get the smoker ready.
Do not use open flame! Do find some semi-rotten dry wood, ignite one piece and load it into smoker so it is smouldering, and use it to smoke them out. You can put some ply/carboard box near the exit (best to have a couple of old bee cones in it).
Than apply liberal amounts of thick smoke to force them out.
Hopefully the would like your's box :)

smoke just pushes them down normally, not sideways. if your going to do it yourself, smoke them gently from above and just lift the insulation and bees out into a large box in one go, walk away and stragglers should all go to the box if the queens there. If the comb is all stuck to the beams and joists, no choice but to break it all up and box it and run away for a while, bit like dealing with a hive thats gone wild over time, anyway you will get stung trying, always do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Beeeees in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi. I'm currently estimating on installing a new shower pump to feed an existing bath/shower diverter. Hot side: fit flange and spherical valve and Y strainer to old cylinder, reduce to 15 mm and to pump flexi and reconnect existing hot distributing pipe. Repair shelf in AC and fit twin...
Replies
Views
So I bought my first flat recently (am in UK) and in a bit of a pickle as the bathroom has turned up lots of problems that weren't picked up by the survey. I have had loads of plumbers over, and have always carefully checked their reviews/tried to vet them as much as possible. However, I've had...
Replies
Views
This maybe isn't so much about asking for advice as giving it 🤔 I had a leaking HW cylinder (23 years old) that I got fed up patching up with plumbers gold 🤣 - so decided to replace it and do some remodelling of the plumbing in the airing cupboard while it was all pulled out. before, during, &...
Replies
Views
Hello, First of all, I need to say that I know nothing, absolutely nothing to plumbing. I am posting in this forum because I am losing my wits here. I bought a tenement flat (Scotland, high ceilings very old flats, stone buildings) and when I moved in just a few weet ago I noticed that the...
Replies
Views
Got a potential headache on my hands. I have recently had my house refurbished- we went all the way back to the joists and I saw all new central heating pipes and electrics going in - as well as the floorboards and a layer of hardboard on the upstairs floor and plywood in the bathroom go on...
Replies
Views
Radioman
R
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock