Search the forum,

Discuss Baxi 133 HE Plus problems - Leak! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Confused_Baxi

Hi,

I have a Baxi 133 HE Plus, it is leaking from the rear of the combustion chamber, behind the fan. Dripping to the bottom plate and then dripping to the front of the panel, where all controls are (Advanced Control PCB). I've had to resort to having a permanent cloth on the bottom plate to absord the water before it drips on the control panel.

The leak occurs when the heating is on AND the hot water is running. At times, it just leaks with the heating on. When heating is off, there is no leak. When hot water is running (without heating on) there is no leak.

Can anyone please help, I had a plumber (CORGI reg) check this and he too was confused and could not provide me with any resolution. I had to pay the full hour rate, without any fix or ideas of what can be done. Expensive.

First image illustrates the puddle of water, and second image the drip from above. Hope these images provide better understanding.

Baxi133HE+_leak.jpgBaxi133HE+_leak-drip.jpg

Can anyone please help.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Get a good one who is Gas-safe registered & who actually knows about boilers and not into ripping you off

Thanks for the response, this engineer was registered and was recommended. But he hadn't seen anything like this before, even phoned Baxi when he was looking at the boiler and he couldn't still fix it.

Ok mate, I would think this could be a few things are you having to top up pressure on your boiler, if so you might be looking at main hex or if not might be flue connections or seals, recouperator (I think this boiler has one if so its a possibility).
Leak on a recouperator makes sense because when the boiler is running and condensing it would collect and leak. Good Luck !!

Thanks for the reply, no need to top up the pressure. The pressure remains between 1 and 2, normal. Although I did try to decrease pressure, thinking it was too high, but did not allow me to. The pressure tap does not work now, and the pressure is normal.

So you have ruled out any pressure loss I think this is related to when the boiler is condensing get your guy to remove the fan and check the recouperator.

Ok, will do, any ideas how much this will cost and how much time it should take? Seems like a big job and wouldnt want to get ripped off.

Its difficult to say ! might need a few hours at your local gas-safe registered hourly rate. Or it might be that the recouperator has to be replaced, then if so its going to cost more. Difficult for me to assume how much as I work for a company.

Get the engineer to check the seal between the combustion chamber base and the combustion chamber, and check the condensate hole is clear. Allow at least an hour, by the time the burner and fan have been remved and then the base

needs servicing, or is frozen sounds like the heat exchanger drain hole for the condensate is blocked,causing the waste water to back up and come out were its not designed this boiler does not have a recupirater as its a band a,that is only applicable to a band b

Hi, I forgot that you could add images, attached a couple and it illustrates the same description as written, hope this helps to provide better understanding. you may be able to see the splashes from above, and the drip in the 2nd image.

Baxi133HE+_leak.jpgBaxi133HE+_leak-drip.jpg

have your engineer check the sump seal and flue seal, is it possible water is getting down the air intake of the flue or condensate water is getting into the air intake.

Hi, I forgot that you could add images, attached a couple and it illustrates the same description as written, hope this helps to provide better understanding. you may be able to see the splashes from above, and the drip in the 2nd image.

View attachment 1523View attachment 1524

that conden bottles full,no fly by wire by the look of it,blocked or frozen pipework ,is this a new problem come about with the change in whether ?

and the burners not blown up and killed it.............YET

I have asked a couple of plumbers to fix this leak and they all say that it is best to just fit a new boiler, the time and labour that it will take to get to the leak and then fix it would cost a lot. Also, it cannot be guaranteed to have the leak fixed. A new boiler is recommended.

Having said this, can anyone recommend a boiler, and cost of the suggested boiler (and to fit possibly)? I have 2 bathrooms (one main the other en-suite), 2 bedrooms and one lounge. 8 radiators altogether. Ground floor flat.

I wouldn't mind having a more powerful boiler compared to the current headache 'Baxi 133HE Plus' (combi), hope the more powerful one could eliminate the loss of pressure if water is being used in more than one place at the same time.

One last note, the boiler has 2 flues situated at the top of the boiler, please can you confirm if the boiler suggested is compatible with this sort of fitting (2 flues).

Boiler images with the flues (x2);
boiler flues x2.jpgboiler flues x2a.jpg

Thank you for your help.

baxi and potterton have a few excellent boilers in the range the duo tec and performa are reliable but the 133 and solo and promax heat only are lemons

Hi Gas Man,

Thanks for the feedback, I was thinking more along the lines of Vailant or Worcester? Any recommendations within these ranges, please consider my notes on the flues.

Thanks.

tbh not impressed with Worcester,dont know about vailent,if you check with baxi,the duo tec may use the same flue as the 133 but i am not certain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Baxi 133 HE Plus problems - Leak! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up to 1.3. I've had an engineer look inside the boiler and he can't see anything wrong. I've checked the pipes all over the house and cannot see any...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I have changed the 3 port actuator Honeywell head however this doesn’t seem to have solved the issue, does this mean that the programmer is faulty? Or is...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock