Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Back Boiler for Victorian Range? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

LJ.

Hi there, I'm new to the forum and have some questions... What sort of suitable back boiler can I get for my old Iron Victorian cooking range? I fitted the range nearly 30 years ago and feel that now I would like to fit a back boiler to heat the domestic hot water supply via a simple indirect system. The range never had a boiler as it was only a very simple small cottage type of cooker possibly with an option to fit a boiler tub adjacent to it. (hopefully as a new member I can upload a photo)

range.jpg

I'd like to run the pipes out the back of the fireplace into the bathroom and then directly up to the cylinder three meters above. A very simple job I would expect. The range gives out really good heat, the oven being used fairly regularly as a novelty more than anything. But with the price of electricity (Immersion heater on economy seven) I reckon I can heat most of the domestic hot water each time we have a fire.

Can I ask your opinions on how and what sort of boiler I should get. :teeth_smile:

LJ.

Last edited by a moderator:
I cannot see this working - reasons are multiple really

1. If you install a 'hybrid' installation your insurance company will need to be informed
or if it all goes bang they will not pay out
2. I would engage and PAY a local HETAS engineer to check what you want to do is safe
3. WOULD NOT buy a prop with a special system - bound to be picked up by the survey man

However if none of this spooks you I would like to help you produce what you want

centralheatking

Thanks for the replies... Hopefully picture is fixed now so you can see the fireplace in question. No name of the range or any part numbers etc, so I really don't know who made it. Seems its some mass produced model.

I guessed that there could be problems and did not consider house insurance, but if done properly should be okay with them. I may well go ahead if I can get some more ideas, there are always better ideas than ones own. Thanks for the offer of help.

LJ.

i will get back to you later - we are all outside a factory in shropshire waiting access and i am rubbish with laptops
but the opinion in the back of my transit is you might be able to do someting with it now we have the piccy

centralheatking

Hope i'm not too late to help you. I have an original victorian copper back boiler from a range if its any help ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Back Boiler for Victorian Range? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hey there I'm looking for some advice on a potential issue I'm having with an old back boiler. So just moved into my parents' old house with my...
Replies
Views
L
I can see the small leak in back boiler, have tried all sorts of products to seal it. have drained the radiators but pressure from water in actual...
Replies
Views
LyndaB
L
Hi I have a Glow-worm back boiler which is giving me grief (I would have upgraded it by now but its a listed building and there's issues with...
Replies
Views
J
Hi all, I am a plumber but I do not carry out works to boilers as the majority of my is bathrooms so I am not gas safe. I have completed a...
Replies
Views
I am generally a decent handyman, can usually make 2+2=4 and take care of most things to avoid troubling experts with just the basics, but know...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock