• Thread starter mountainman
  • Start date
  • Replies 48
  • Views 5K

Discuss Are some of our brethren authoring our own downfall? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mountainman

I was in a local merchant's today and during normal conversation I learned that some plumbers are on contracts that pay them £4 to change a tap cartridge including travelling to get one if they don't have it in stock.

I accept that pretty much any B&Q browser can become a plumber but doing jobs for peanuts will only destroy what used to be a well regarded trade.

There are a lot of very poor rates around at present, as mentioned in another thread, you would think people would have more value of their worth!

Yes. We're becoming undervalued.

If they're not doing honest work for too little, they're doing bad work for too much and giving us all a bad rep.

pay and £4 just shouldn't be in the same sentence, ridiculous

This trade is well on the road to ruin. Was this B&Q? I read something in the paper about them today.
Why any tradesman would work for that is beyond desperation. If you get near that stage its time to get out get out of this.

You would make more money washing cars and vans in the B&Q carpark!

Thats a joke, you would have to be stupid to work for that. By the time you have paid your petrol, 20% tax, all the overheads worked out as a percentage over the year you would actually be loosing money.

I always charge £40 plus VAT on every visit now, this covers the 1st hour. I get alot of people turn around and ask for a quote to repair thier boiler or want a free diagnosis on the fault but I will never do it. I loose a few customers here and there but chances are they are the ones that wont want to pay at the end of it anyway.

Its in every trade aswell ! I was talkin to a mate thats had to go to courier service ! He gets like 50p per parcel and thats including his fuel his van his time just to get to the house ! So he would have to do 100 pacels a day for £50 !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Are some of our brethren authoring our own downfall? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock