Currently reading:
apprentice - yes or no

Discuss apprentice - yes or no in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Flanners

I am trying to decide whether or not to take on an apprentice or not?

Anyone shed any light on costs involved and experiences???

Ill ultimatly come to a decision but you guys always have good answers!!!

Cheers

How old you looking at?

Personally if I was in your boat I would be looking at somebody a little older, more world wise, more common sense etc.

Some of the younger people who have contacted me about work/apprenticeships, well enough said.

I've thought about it, but too busy to be slowed down. If I get really stuck there's a couple of lads, already self employed, who could give me a hand on a bigger job.

most apprentices are useful for a extra pair of hands but are a liability,i said to my apprentice the other day,was up tescos last night thought i saw your name on a loaf of bread,when i looked again it said THICK CUT

Hi. I have been along this route on several occasions. My advise would be to offer interested parties a trial of say three weeks. Making notes and giving the trainee feed back on a weekly basis. Time keeping, appearance, communication, ambition and commitment are among the qualities to be judged. By letting them know its a trial they should want to shine. I have had to repeat this with 4 young people before finding one with the worth of investment. I also explain the wage they will receive for the job. Starting very low with reviews on a three monthly term (another tenner a week if they meet targets) Getting their parents on board at the start can help, as it gives you an insight on genetics. And an extra lever to keep them on track. Good Luck

when you do take one on , get them to sign a contract making them responsible for there own NI contributions etc , also i wouldn't take someone who lived too close to me my current love slave lives an hour away. its worth while if they can drive too.

I've teamed up with another local plumber. We both run our own business but when we need another helping hand we'll make contact.

We both have customers of our own and I've asked him to go to one or two of my customers because I wasn't able to and he's asked me to help his customers. His customers always have priority over him helping me and my customers always have priority over me helping him.

We have a gentleman's agreement about not poaching each other's customers and it's worked well for 3 years and the best part for both of us is if there's no work on (very rare) or the jobs are small (more common) then neither of us has to pay for an apprentice/other help when we don't need it.

I took on a mature (24) apprentice last September, has worked out pretty good. A friend of mine has a 16 yr old one, can't drive, comes in late, not bothered..... Ideally you need one who has made his own choice to be an apprentice and fully understands what is expected of them!

I'd pop into your local college and have a chat with the lecturers. They'll be keen to find a placement for one of their lads and they'll know the idiots from the sensible ones.
Someone who can drive is a must imo.

I'd agree with the above with regards to age. Older seem more willing and not just waiting to go home and play with their mates.

Dont forget about things like Insurance, Wages, Health and Safety and time it will take to train them to do the simple jobs (what tool does what and how to do things)

Also have you enough work to keep you both going. All adds up when you think about it, Wages, Van, Fuel, Insurance, Competent person scheme fees, etc etc

had some one with no experience called me yesterday ,wants to do port folio for gas but has no experience AT ALL does event not know how to solder but willing to learn ! he asked how much to take him on HOW MUCH WILL I CHARGE HIM TO HAVE HIM ON WITH ME ?

any ideas how much to charge for this services ?

it all depends, how much is your time worth stan? he will definately slow you down with no experience whatsoever.

I know Steve and will take good few months till he understand conventional systems and boiler components any one with idea pls pm me what I should charge him !

About a grand is what i've seen one training centre advertising. Think they have some installers they can send people with to gain their 50 jobs and experience. I'd tell him £100 a week with a min of 3 months

training centres are pricing for doing port folio only not to teach them from scratch ,or am I wrong ?

Not sure mate, i suppose they could just get them through there jobs and stuff but wouldnt feel right not showing them what to do would it? I suppose taking more time to teach somone would be more hassle and time consuming on your part. What was you thinking about asking. Would you want a weekly price or maybe a lump sum and take as long as it takes?

an apprentice over 18 will coast you to send to college
17 is a key age, had 12 months out of school, still under 19 when going to l3 therefore needs no payment/college fees

an apprentice over 18 will coast you to send to college
17 is a key age, had 12 months out of school, still under 19 when going to l3 therefore needs no payment/college fees

Another good point. But i think the lads just after getting his hands on training with somone and the theory with a center/college

the whole point in taking on the lad or the girl as it is now a days is to pass on your knowledge and give a little back.
its for them to lift the boiler on to the wall when you cant. its for them to put tkettle on when your struggling to turn off the stopcock which doesnt stop!

choose your love slave well though!

Upto 19 years of age the courses are free, and you can get a grant from the governent to go towards training an apprentice. that said i would still be tepted to take on someone in their 20's, as they will be more mature, will hold (hopefully) a full driving licence, can be trusted to do jobs on thier own, and will be more willing and keen to learn

Last edited by a moderator:
Took on a mates son for a couple of jobs a few years ago, as a favour more than anything and was like working with a broken arm! Always disappearing, not interested in learning owt, mobile stuck to his hand all day and couldn't wait to get home. Kept asking why I called him 'Thrombosis' so I told him 'it's because you're a slow moving clot!':mad:

Before you do anything you must speak to a solicitor . Having just had an ex apprentice try to get us to a tribunal for unfair dissmissal (he left !!!!!!!) this is your first stop. There are things you must have in your contract , there are procedures you must have in place and there are minimum wages you must pay (you cannot opt out even with his agreement ) and next year there will be pension payments to make .
I would see an employment solicitor before you do anything. And then decide .
Oh we won the legal case , cost him nothing (legal aid) . His solicitor got payed (legal aid) . Our solicitor got payed ( by us !!!!!!) The only person out of pocket is me the employer who is innocent !! Work that one out !

Before you do anything you must speak to a solicitor . Having just had an ex apprentice try to get us to a tribunal for unfair dissmissal (he left !!!!!!!) this is your first stop. There are things you must have in your contract , there are procedures you must have in place and there are minimum wages you must pay (you cannot opt out even with his agreement ) and next year there will be pension payments to make .
I would see an employment solicitor before you do anything. And then decide .
Oh we won the legal case , cost him nothing (legal aid) . His solicitor got payed (legal aid) . Our solicitor got payed ( by us !!!!!!) The only person out of pocket is me the employer who is innocent !! Work that one out !

You gonna give the little turd a good reference then?!

hi im 38 and did a fast track course at met-uk on gas did a nvq in plumbing 10 yrs ago but had to stay in engineering to pay bills , decided to take the plunge last year and take a year off at a cost off over £20,000 and retrain im now gas safe but wouldnt recomend these fast track courses to anyone allthough my second work placement was exelent first was s**t. im still learning every day i went through the yellow pages offering my time for no pay just so i could learn the job have done bits of work for a few gas/plumbers and keep getting little bits of them now and again and i help them on bigger jobs. my point is, have a look at your local training centers thers older people out there who realy want to learn like me, im on £30.000 a year in a large engineering company in sheffield an would gladly pack work in for the chance to work full time in plumbing/heating the apprentices at our place are on a good wage i dont know what the going rate is for a plumbing/gas engineer is what you want is someone that needs and wants to be in the trade.iv trained apprentices at work for over 10yrs and no the problems you get with school leavers had some good lads but most dont last.

Took on a mates son for a couple of jobs a few years ago, as a favour more than anything and was like working with a broken arm! Always disappearing, not interested in learning owt, mobile stuck to his hand all day and couldn't wait to get home. Kept asking why I called him 'Thrombosis' so I told him 'it's because you're a slow moving clot!':mad:

some poeple think they are owed a living, seems to happen more now than ever before

When taking on an apprentice or trainee, surly i am not the only person thinking of it as an investment. Finding the right stock may take a bit of hiring and firing but once the process starts, a financial return should happen if your training input is of quality. The first 18 months may not show a profit but thereafter you should plan to see a gain in both delegation and financially. I must emphasis its a big and long term excise for both the employer and trainee, although is not a race the finishing line must be identified via the aims and objective discussed at the outset.

Just don't train it too well or it will end up taking all your customers!

Just don't train it too well or it will end up taking all your customers!

Not if you add to their contract that they're not allowed to work within 20 miles of your house/business base within 2 years of leaving you.

Perhaps I'm different but I'd relish taking on a trainee, teaching him how to run a business, how to deal with customers, how to plumb and diagnose faults and all sorts of things and send them on their way when they feel ready so that I can take on another new one and teach him better.

I'd also like to keep in touch with them, ask them to give me a hand from time to time, be asked to give them a hand sometimes.

Shame that although I'm busy, I'm just not busy enough to warrant taking someone on yet.

I have to admit in an ideal world it would be good to pass on my vast experience and knowledge (of the best pork sarnie shops in Sheffield!) but until things pick up it aint gonna happen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to apprentice - yes or no in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock