Discuss apprentice - yes or no in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Flanners

I am trying to decide whether or not to take on an apprentice or not?

Anyone shed any light on costs involved and experiences???

Ill ultimatly come to a decision but you guys always have good answers!!!

Cheers

How old you looking at?

Personally if I was in your boat I would be looking at somebody a little older, more world wise, more common sense etc.

Some of the younger people who have contacted me about work/apprenticeships, well enough said.

I've thought about it, but too busy to be slowed down. If I get really stuck there's a couple of lads, already self employed, who could give me a hand on a bigger job.

most apprentices are useful for a extra pair of hands but are a liability,i said to my apprentice the other day,was up tescos last night thought i saw your name on a loaf of bread,when i looked again it said THICK CUT

Hi. I have been along this route on several occasions. My advise would be to offer interested parties a trial of say three weeks. Making notes and giving the trainee feed back on a weekly basis. Time keeping, appearance, communication, ambition and commitment are among the qualities to be judged. By letting them know its a trial they should want to shine. I have had to repeat this with 4 young people before finding one with the worth of investment. I also explain the wage they will receive for the job. Starting very low with reviews on a three monthly term (another tenner a week if they meet targets) Getting their parents on board at the start can help, as it gives you an insight on genetics. And an extra lever to keep them on track. Good Luck

when you do take one on , get them to sign a contract making them responsible for there own NI contributions etc , also i wouldn't take someone who lived too close to me my current love slave lives an hour away. its worth while if they can drive too.

I've teamed up with another local plumber. We both run our own business but when we need another helping hand we'll make contact.

We both have customers of our own and I've asked him to go to one or two of my customers because I wasn't able to and he's asked me to help his customers. His customers always have priority over him helping me and my customers always have priority over me helping him.

We have a gentleman's agreement about not poaching each other's customers and it's worked well for 3 years and the best part for both of us is if there's no work on (very rare) or the jobs are small (more common) then neither of us has to pay for an apprentice/other help when we don't need it.

I took on a mature (24) apprentice last September, has worked out pretty good. A friend of mine has a 16 yr old one, can't drive, comes in late, not bothered..... Ideally you need one who has made his own choice to be an apprentice and fully understands what is expected of them!

I'd pop into your local college and have a chat with the lecturers. They'll be keen to find a placement for one of their lads and they'll know the idiots from the sensible ones.
Someone who can drive is a must imo.

I'd agree with the above with regards to age. Older seem more willing and not just waiting to go home and play with their mates.

Dont forget about things like Insurance, Wages, Health and Safety and time it will take to train them to do the simple jobs (what tool does what and how to do things)

Also have you enough work to keep you both going. All adds up when you think about it, Wages, Van, Fuel, Insurance, Competent person scheme fees, etc etc

had some one with no experience called me yesterday ,wants to do port folio for gas but has no experience AT ALL does event not know how to solder but willing to learn ! he asked how much to take him on HOW MUCH WILL I CHARGE HIM TO HAVE HIM ON WITH ME ?

any ideas how much to charge for this services ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to apprentice - yes or no in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, my name is Michael and I am 18. I have my level 2 and 3 qualifications in plumbing and I also have a full driving licence I cant find...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to...
Replies
Views
Evening all, Apologies in advance if this is posted in the wrong section etc! I took on an Apprentice for my business in February 2021 in the...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hey everyone, my name's Loren, I'm 31 and I recently finished my level 2 NVQ plumbing diploma at college and I'm looking for someone to help me...
Replies
Views
Good Afternoon, My name is Jordan and I am a fully qualified emergency gas engineer (working on external aspects i.e. services and mains) for a...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock