Search the forum,

Discuss Anyone understand Approved Document H - length of WC branch? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ric2013

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
I'm just trying to get my head around this one. I need to understand this stuff for my NVQ.

Table 2, page 9, 'Common branch discharge pipes (unventilated)' tells us:

The WC outlet can have a maximum 15m unventilated branch and that a maximum of one WC can connect if the outlet is less than 80mm, or up to eight WCs if the outlet is greater than 80mm.

Diagram 3 (below table 2) shows:

The WC branch is a maximum of 6m length for single WC.

This seems to me to contradict. I can understand that one WC can have a 6m branch, and more than one WC can have a 15m branch.

What I don't get is how table 2 says that we are allowed no more than 1 small-outlet WC on a 75mm branch, but that the length of that branch can be 15m when the next diagram shows that the limit is 6m for a single WC. If we are only allowed one WC on a 75mm branch then surely table 2 should state that the maximum length for this is 6m instead of the 15m figure it gives?

I'm wondering what they mean by 'common branch' and whether my failure to grasp this is the reason I think there is a contradiction.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks,

Ric

Last edited:
The 6m rule on 110mm soil pipe is for unventilated runs to stop induced siphonage

So is the 15m on table 2 (which IS for unventilated) a typographical error, do you think?

Last edited:
It is not clear that is for sure but my take on it is as follows -
Diagram 3 "Branch connections" limit of 6 Metres is for a single appliance (in this case a WC) connected to a discharge stack by a single pipe (unventilated) and as far as any exam questions are concerned this is the one they will ask about, so stick with this.

Table 2 Common branch discharge pipes (unventilated) I believe relates, as the name suggests, to a common branch where more than one appliance connects into that branch pipe (or as I call it a float) as it runs to the stack.

Need to have a look at BS EN 12056 Gravity drainage systems inside buildings. which can also be used.

All modern pans are >80mm, rules on the <80 are so that self cleaning velocity is maintained with out risk of blockage or surcharging to branch.

Last edited:
Hi Chris,

Oh, I'm sure they want the 6m answer - funny how everything gets simplified for the NVQ, but then we all know what NVQ stands for :) . And I'm sure at college I'll probably get a confused teacher too. Actually, I'm lucky in that at least my training centre has staff with a reasonable experience of domestic plumbing (although I reckon no one there has run a 15m branch because that's a mansion, or prison).

Struggling slightly with getting British Standards at present. Used to log in using Essex Libraries website, but have since moved to Powys and not sure whether I can get in the same way.

I think then that we understand the 'common' bit the same way. Obviously even a handwash basin would help flush the branch out after use (if people wash their hands...)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Anyone understand Approved Document H - length of WC branch? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I'm installing a concrete patio out back. By the wall under the kitchen sink I have an existing P-Trap gully for the grey water from the sink, dishwasher, washing machine etc. When I pour the concrete there won't be any chance to dig it up anymore. From my own research I get the...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock