Search the forum,

Discuss Any Help with replacing old multi fuel burner central heating please. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Renovator

Hi Chaps

I am in the process of renovating a small 2bed semi 2 up 2 down 1900 build. What would be the best replacement for this system. As i think it is outdated but unsure on the matter. There is no heating upstairs.

Also there is a cylinder with immersion in the 2nd bedroom which takes up a lot of space with the airing cupboard. Would it be possible to move this cylinder up into the loft and how would i go about this.

Cheers chaps in advance

It sounds like a classic job for a combi, which would get rid of your cylinder altogether. (assuming you have gas in the property)

However, your best bet is to get a couple of local independent GSR installers to see the job, and make recommendations.

Where in the country are you? There may be some forum members close by.

Ray

Edit - just twigged that this is posted in the OIL and solid fuel section. Does that mean you don't have gas?

Hi Ray thanks for the quick reply.

Yes there is no gas at the property or in village I believe but I will find out for you.

Are there any other alternatives to the combi because that it what I would of liked, or some kind of biomass system which was what else I was looking at.

I am in the north of essex.

Thanks again

I apologise for the bad writing im having a mare with posting this on my phone

Would be better getting a local OFTEC guy to do a survey for you, You would need to consider flow rates, mains water pressure and sizing.

Post a thread in the 'I'm looking for a plumber / gas engineer' section of these forums remembering to include your location. [DLMURL="http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/im-looking-plumber-gas-engineer/"]I'm looking for a Plumber or Gas Engineer[/DLMURL]

seems there should be Im looking for a plumber oil engineer section :)

Hi there,
You definitely have some options on the biomass front if you'd like to explore that path rather than oil or LPG in an off grid home...

The initial capital spend on a biomass system will be higher than a comparable oil system, however the fuel cost will be significantly cheaper. If we assume wood pellets vs oil and with identical boiler efficiency, you will see approximately 38% - 45% lower fuel costs year on year (variation depending on the way you buy pellets, i.e wheteher in bags or blown in bulk into a large hopper).
As of next April, the domestic RHI scheme should be launched as well, meaning you will be able to tap into government subsidies for every Kwh of heat you produce from biomass, which can be a substantial amount of cash and reduce the payback times to as low as two years, leaving you effectively in profit for a large number of years.

Feel free to drop me a PM if you'd like to have a chat about your biomass options, I'm not a million miles from your area either.

Many Thanks

Hi Chaps

I am in the process of renovating a small 2bed semi 2 up 2 down 1900 build. What would be the best replacement for this system. As i think it is outdated but unsure on the matter. There is no heating upstairs.

Also there is a cylinder with immersion in the 2nd bedroom which takes up a lot of space with the airing cupboard. Would it be possible to move this cylinder up into the loft and how would i go about this.

Cheers chaps in advance

Built in 1900, lead water main please no not a combi trickle trickle :rockon: drip drip click bang

whats does this mean "Yes there is no gas at the property or in village " is it like yes we have no bananas

I am with Croppie on this one

Last edited by a moderator:
Small 2 up 2 down. Wouldn't consider a pellet boiler personally unles you can build a boiler house on the side and are happy pay out ÂŁ10k plus.

if its that's small, I'd consider an electric wet system.

Small 2 up 2 down. Wouldn't consider a pellet boiler personally unles you can build a boiler house on the side and are happy pay out ÂŁ10k plus.

if its that's small, I'd consider an electric wet system.

The pellet boiler would be worth more than the house.:clap:

You're only real sensible option is oil combi, or LPG combi with bulk storage. Wouldn't consider pellet on a property that size, 10k might get you the cheapest pellet boiler on the market.

Actually you could have a very nice pellet system installed at a reasonable price, the make / model / output would be depending on the heat loss of the house.

I have installed 12Kw pellet stove with boiler in a house 3,000 sq feet and it works as expected, I have also installed a 30Kw boiler in another 3,000 sq ft house and it struggles to heat the house.

The difference between the two is heating controls and insulation.

Cheers for all your replies. id forgotten about this thread until now as iv been very busy but im still unsure on what to do with the central heating.

The house may in the very near future be extended into a 3 bed (it already has a previous single story extension on the side housing the only bathroom) with a bathroom upstairs.

Would the above advice still be viable when extended?

I am leaning towards an oil combi but still undecided, what about a ground source heat pump are these a good option?.

I would be looking to get whatever is decided installed fairly quickly and will be looking to get someone in if anyone is interested in coming to have a look.

Are people still content with the traditional multi fuel central heating systems or are they outdated?

In my view people are less willing to go out in the snow/rain/sleet/strong winds to get coil or wood and have it sitting in a bucket next to the fire, todays working class want there life made as easy as possible and just turning a dial up and down is ideal.

What do you think?

Cheers
Joe

Last edited by a moderator:
a multi fuel stove would be a good idea as a secondary heat source, possibly a main heat source with solar hot water for the summer, depending on your life style really.

It would be best to contact some local engineers to come and give you some idea and quotes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Any Help with replacing old multi fuel burner central heating please. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

R
Hello its my 1st post hope im in the right place We brought a new house a medium-large 3 bedroom semi, we moved in the summer. Now coming to winter we started putting the central heating on. The central heating has a mind of its on it’s really strange iv never experienced this We put the heating...
Replies
Views
I have a conventional system, Potterton Prima Boiler, into a Pump into a Motorised Valve that feeds the Radiators and/or the pipes in the Hot Water Cylinder. Analogue Controller with slide switches (replaced 2 years ago) and analogue Room Stat and Hot water cylinder Stat. I'm just an amateur...
Replies
Views
Hello, my HW is taking longer than expected to heat up and it's getting worse. I can go 10-40 degs after 1.5 hours of only heating HW, whereas I should be going 10-60 degs in 30-40 mins by my maths. Don't even mention trying to heat HW and CH at the same time. 30 mins with the immersion adds...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am renovating a small bathroom in an apartment on the 5th floor. Heating is electric, no gas or oil. I have four (related) questions about this below. I had intended to reuse the cold water tank and the cylinder sitting underneath it but my plumber suggested I replace the cylinder as...
Replies
Views
We live in a 1980s four-bedroom detached house. The time has come for new central heating. The current system is a mild revision of the original heating installed when the house was built, and this revision was largely to replace a life-expired boiler: non-condensing fan flue boiler open...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock