Search the forum,

Discuss Alpha boilers in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

plumbdoctor

Anyone out there finding when working on the cd range the seals are stuck on the casing so rip off when you take the initial combustion chamber door off ? its like a gluey sticky black seal that melts i assume cos of the heat bad design i think

Have it all the time, you can get rolls of he stuff from merchants. I just replace as I go, if it's damaged bad enough. It is a bad design though, even when you have the screws off, it still feels like its screwed in, theyre are nightmare to be honest

Alphas seem to be one boiler where a contract from BG or similar will actually pay for itself! (If they would take them on that is)

Drip, drip, drip....... is that another i can hear calling

Yep, I go through rolls of the stuff!!

Its only a bugger on the CB and older CD ranges, ok on the newer CD's

hi alpha man . hope you may offer any advice. i have a alpha he33, that is constantly switching to a flashing red light.sorry to say but had 3 differant gas fitters to try to rectify this problem but to date none have.even after they have renewed various parts, which is as follows, all new parts.overheat thermostat,a.p.switch,last one was a new p.c.b.. none off which has made any differance at all. and i am losing faith in local gas engineers,this problem is very random may work fine for a day,then will red light. some days may work for only a few minutes and go off . i reset every time and its any ones guess as to weather it stays on or not. any advice would be most help-full

The MI state that the boiler has over heated with that fault light sequance, Sadly it could be a couple of things, Pump, wiring loom to APS/overheat stat or APS or PCB.

Normaly that fault and it has been the either the PCB or APS!!

Hi PeeJay,
Just wondering if you managed to get to the bottom of this problem? I'm having identical symptoms on the same model at the moment, and seem to be running out of options to resolve.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers!

Hi PeeJay,
Just wondering if you managed to get to the bottom of this problem? I'm having identical symptoms on the same model at the moment, and seem to be running out of options to resolve.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers!
Where do you live quiverpigeon?

Yep, I go through rolls of the stuff!!

Its only a bugger on the CB and older CD ranges, ok on the newer CD's

I too have noticed tihis defect on the older cd range its just a bit annoying really. Saying that I have a new cd 28 c in my own house and couldn't be happier with it great hot watet performance and very efficent my gas bill is tiny! 5 years old and no problems so far
But probably jynxed it now

I thought this the other day, very poor design. pulled the case off , which can be a mission at times and half the seal was one combustion chamber and other half on case

Hi Alpha man, cheers for the response.
I'm up in Cheshire..
An engineer has been out 5 times so far trying different things, new pcb, a thermistor, a microswitch (hot water flow switch?) and today the overheat and flue thermostats. The return filter has been cleared from being pretty clogged. Still has the same behaviour, failing a few times as it tries to fire, then gives up and sits with the flashing red light.
He initially recommended replacing the heat exchanger, the diverter valve, and having a powerflush done. He's not convinced that this would solve this problem though, and after checking the prices of the parts, has said it would make more sense to replace the whole boiler..

Last edited by a moderator:
Spot on Alpha man, had an alpha engineer out for a fixed price repair on Sat morning, first thing he did was change the APS, and it's been working fine ever since! Just wish eon had tried that under the plan, but to be fair to them, the manual seems to make no mention of that part causing that fault. Down to familiarity with this particular boiler I suppose. Many thanks for your help in any case. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Alpha boilers in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

My Grant combi oil boiler is giving me quite a headache at the moment. When I returned home last Friday I'd no heating or hot water. An engineer called the next day and diagnosed a faulty pressure switch. This was changed and everything seemed ok. However then the boiler began to lose pressure...
Replies
Views
B
Context for issue: I'd like to start by saying I'd rather not read 100 "Hire a professional comments", I will do that when/if it comes to it, but I'd like to do it myself if possible. All images for system here: https://*********/a/ngPQkre Last winter the temperature switch on my boiler...
Replies
Views
Butchy10
B
Context for issue: Last winter the temperature switch on my boiler shorted somehow, the boiler was then running WAY too hot and ended up blowing/melting a hole in one of the pipes. I repaired this by putting in a new stretch of pipe in and just connecting it to the existing pipes with two...
Replies
Views
E
Hi all, Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere but I can't find an answer to my questions. I have a back boiler and gas fire which h has been serviced regularly over the years by different engineers with no issues. Last time , the guy wanted to condem it due to not being compliant with...
Replies
Views
I'm looking for some advice on a frustrating problem I'm having with my old Eurostar 50-60s oil boiler please? Although it's old, most parts needed to operate it are now new. The symptoms indicated a broken/seized burner motor or oil pump. I wrongly assumed the motor so I ordered a new one only...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock