Discuss All my radiators are cold :( in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Cherry

Hi I'm hoping someone might be able to suggest something. i realised my heating hadn't come on as usual tonight, so I checked the pilot light and it had gone out which has never happened before. After googling how to re-light☺️ I did and it stayed on but every single radiator is cold. The pump is working, well I think it is as I can hear it, same for thermostat, when I turn it right down the boiler goes off and when I turn it up the boiler kicks in. I have bled radiators that I can, some are really old and I can't find the valve thing. I have also bled pump. The heating was fine this morning. I hope this makes sense sorry if it's a bit long, but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Hi there, it's sounding like the pump isn't pumping the water through your radiators, What kind of boiler is it that you have, it may be possible that you've turned the boiler stat right down low , a numbered dial on the boiler ? If it's an old system it maybe clogged up, this is just a couple of possibilities,

Hi,

To clean your system properly you need to have it power flushed, which you won't be able to do. I still am leaning towards a circulating pump. Be careful, but with the boiler running, can you feel the pipe into the pump, is it hot? Then feel the pipe out of the pump, what about that? Keep feeling along the pipe out of the pump. You may get some heat transfer via gravity, is the nearest radiator slightly warm? Can you feel the pump working? The impeller may be stuck. If you can feel a vibration/movement at the pump, that's still no guarantee that the impeller has not come adrift and it's just the armature rotating.

Not familiar with Gas, but another possibility maybe a diverter valve. Others will be able to say better than I.

if you take the pump vent out and stick a screwdriver in does the pump stop spinning? also turn hot water off and run centralheating only. when room stat up does that fire the boiler?

maybe its time to call a plumber local to you.

does the boiler actually fire up when there is a call for heat?
how long until it is banging/boiling?
is it only me that sees a connection with the pilot light being of before?

I've just come home and tried the heating again. Hot water off and heating on with thermostat at about 25 yes the boiler is firing and humming/ vibrating when I touch it. The first couple of inches only of the pipe running into the pump are lukewarm and whole of pipe running out is cold. The pipe that runs into the very top of boiler that looks like it comes from loft is very hot, not scalding but still very hot. No banging at the moment, but I just used bathroom sink and there was an awful shrieking noise that was definitely connected to me using the taps. I've got a plumber coming out on Monday, but he said my system may be too old to power flush. I really hope not but I'll wait and see. Thank you everyone for replies

Is the boiler pressure ok? Sounds like the pressure is to low and you need to fill the system

There should be a pressure gauge, it should be between 1 and 2 bar, if it's below 1 then turn the tap to fill the system until it reaches 1.5bar

My moneys on it being open vented. Probable circulation issue, potentially pump.

Really sorry if repeating myself but not sure if previous post went thru. I can't find pressure gauge maybe as boiler is so old, fitted 1994. There are several red taps fitted on different pipes. One tap has the words; close, bar, 110 degrees then a series of numbers on it. If I turn this tap would it sort out boiler pressure?? I keep coming back to the fact everything was fine then pilot light went out and since then no heat.

Comparing powerflush to traditional method: The method of flushing by using chemical agents followed several days later by repeatedly draining down the central heating system is very labour intensive, it requires at least two visits and doesn’t get rid of all the debris and problems often quickly return. No matter how good the flushing agent was, the low flow rate causes that some debris settle back in the system. Removing individual radiators, and flushing them with a hose outside the house, is equally time consuming, very messy and has no effect on deposits in the pipe work and elsewhere in the system. I prefer the traditional method, myself.

What you playing at Dorien by resurrecting 5 old threads other then saying you know something about power flushing. If you`ve got something to say then why not introduce yourself in the new member section. lol

What you playing at Dorien by resurrecting 5 old threads other then saying you know something about power flushing. If you`ve got something to say then why not introduce yourself in the new member section. lol

getting his post count up :D

Comparing powerflush to traditional method: The method of flushing by using chemical agents followed several days later by repeatedly draining down the central heating system is very labour intensive, it requires at least two visits and doesn’t get rid of all the debris and problems often quickly return. No matter how good the flushing agent was, the low flow rate causes that some debris settle back in the system. Removing individual radiators, and flushing them with a hose outside the house, is equally time consuming, very messy and has no effect on deposits in the pipe work and elsewhere in the system. I prefer the traditional method, myself.

So you prefer the method which requires multiple visits, is more time consuming and less effective?

Have you ever done a powerflush? Or just repeating what you've read somewhere? You remind me of m.joshi

You`ve lost me mate, ex member?

Oh yes. Used to hover on the forums jumping on any chance to give "helpful" advice which mainly consisted of copying and pasting sections of boiler installation & service manuals...

i want a reason why you are resurrecting ancient threads by sunday via pm or i will remove you ,as i believe you are trolling our forums

i want a reason why you are resurrecting ancient threads by sunday via pm or i will remove you ,as i believe you are trolling our forums

Banning%0A.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to All my radiators are cold :( in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Sorry if question already answered in previous posts, but I can't find a solution to the below: We recently moved house to a new home that...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I live in a flat that has communal heating through a single pipe system. I recently had replaced a deco flat panel (waffle) radiator...
Replies
Views
Oil boiler (now~15 years old) unvented system with 17 radiators. We moved in 5 years ago and I had to keep bleeding the same radiator. The bleed...
Replies
Views
Hello, I have a customer with a modern anthracite vertical radiator and a modern TRV and lockshield. The radiator makes a loud metallic bang from...
Replies
Views
Hi All, In Dec 2023 I had my annual boiler service and asked the plumber to change 2 radiator valves as the radiator in the toilet downstairs was...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock