Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Airing cupboard in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I've decided to sort out my airing cupboard and been having a look at the now visible pipework and how I would go about isolating the cylinder if I needed to, I understand that the gate valve on the left is the one to go for but it appears to be seized up as I can't turn it at all, but then I noticed another gate valve on the right hand side that is on a pipe that comes from the floor and goes straight up into the loft, would this be it isolate the tank in the loft and so would have the same effect?

Attachments

• WP_20160219_12_46_58_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160219_12_46_58_Pro.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 46
  • WP_20160219_12_47_21_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160219_12_47_21_Pro.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 45
Hard to tell from the photos. The valve to the left is the isolator to hot tank, but they are better replaced with lever valves as they do seize & break inside.
You might also have cold supply to taps coming from cold water tank. It might be other valve.

Leave the one in the second pic it's in relation to the heating and as above get the one in the first pic replaced with a lever valve

If the other valve is on a feed pipe from a heating expansion tank, then it shouldn't be fitted as feed and vent pipes need to be open

Not sure if it makes any difference but my heating is a sealed system so no expansion tank in the loft, just the cold water cistern.

Here's a few more pictures of the pipework, the pipe in question is the back one.

Attachments

• WP_20160219_14_50_12_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160219_14_50_12_Pro.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 39
  • WP_20160219_14_50_19_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160219_14_50_19_Pro.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 35
  • WP_20160219_14_50_50_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160219_14_50_50_Pro.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 36
  • WP_20160219_14_51_05_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160219_14_51_05_Pro.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 38
  • WP_20160219_001.jpg
    WP_20160219_001.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 35
Yea it's fine it's a lock shield valve to slow the flow of water round and to stop vibration

What are you looking to sort out apart from the seized valve as it all looks ok from the pictures.

The back red headed gate valve on the left of the cylinder might be a cold pipe coming from cold water tank and feeding cold water to showers and taps.
Your mains supply to cold tank will most likely be a smaller bore pipe (15mm) and normally would in the attic have an isolating valve to the ballvalve, if at all.

Ok cool, I would imagine then that the mains feed would be the first pipe on the right then going into the loft as that is 15mm and is also connected to the filling loop.

Ok cool, I would imagine then that the mains feed would be the first pipe on the right then going into the loft as that is 15mm and is also connected to the filling loop.

Yes, that would be it.

Left gate valve is cold feed to cylinder and used to shut off hot water
Bottom right lockshield valve is a balancing valve and part of the heating, wouldn't adjust.
Right gate valve at back is most probably the cold water supply to bathroom etc.
None of the valves pictured will isolate the mains to the cold water cistern. Mains looks like its the smaller 15mm pipe going into loft and hopefully will a valve to cistern in loft. If not cold mains (stopcock) is typically under the kitchen sink.

:banghead: Haha im soo slow to finish posts, things come up (baby kicks off or the misses wants something) by the time I eventually reply I'm repeating people. Post should have read 'what best said' :cheesy:

:banghead: Haha im soo slow to finish posts, things come up (baby kicks off or the misses wants something) by the time I eventually reply I'm repeating people. Post should have read 'what best said' :cheesy:

No worries! You said it better than anyone else and explained it all well in your single post! :smile:

Gate valve will probably loosen up with a pair of grips.
If you're renting then you would only need to use in emergency and in that case turn mains stopcock off and turn all taps on.

I always remind people to be careful to check if valve is just seized with a bit of corrosion at the packing nut to spindle. If it is, then just needs the spindle scraped clean, nut oiled and slackened to get spindle moving

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Airing cupboard in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have a 40 year old floor standing Glow Worm 45-60 boiler (open vent )which is in a cupboard in the centre of the house. Its an old workhouse...
Replies
Views
Hey guys in the know. I have paid for a heating and plumbing contract and had to pay my excess 3 times for the same thing still not fixed. The...
Replies
Views
The pipework around the hot water tank in the airing cupboard has developed several leaks after a chemical flush. It's an open vented system...
Replies
Views
Hi I seek some advice on replacing an existing regular boiler. I currently have an old Potterton 10-16 Netaheat electronic, which is around 35...
Replies
Views
Hi I recently did some pipe insulating in my loft. The only two I didn't do were the vent pipes. Not sure if that is the right term for them...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock