Discuss Advice needed regarding surestop swich in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

I moved into my new home last year and had a new stopcock installed last Oct to replace the broken one that was in the spare bedroom. It wasn't a traditional stopcock, it was one of those red plastic dial ones. The plumber fitted a surestop in the airing cupboard. Last winter I heard loud banging in the pipework, but this stopped during the Summer. I haven't heard a sound for about 4 months, then a week ago as the temperature dropped the banging returned. The strange this I hear it in the early hours which is several hours after I've switched everything off. The only thing left switched on during the night is this surestop. I'm trying to remember what the plumber said, but I think he might have said it was easier to fit a surestop in the airing cupboard in the bathroom by the hot water tank as this is near the front of the bungalow,so nearer to the road where the main supply is. The kitchen is at the back of the property so maybe he thought it was more difficult to install a traditional one under the kitchen sink. I chatted to a plumber recently who said he'd had to remove a few surestops he'd installed as they can cause hammering. I did read up on them on the internet and it said the newer ones had eliminated this problem.Mine was only fitted less than a year ago, though I guess it could have been older stock. Has anyone experienced problems with surestops? Any advice as to what I might do next would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks.

I went mad fitting them about 10 years ago as I thought they were the Bee's bo77ocks but now I cringe when I see them. Plastic rubbish.

Thanks for the replies. I think I will call another plumber and replace the surestop with a traditional one. My plumbing knowledge is limited though so in the meantime how do I disconnect the surestop safely. If I leave it switched off overnight will this stop any banging pipework while I'm trying to sleep.Or is there anything else I could do while I'm waiting for a plumber to replace it. Thanks.

Thanks Rob. Someone else said about leaving a tap running on the slowest trickle overnight. This did stop the banging which I presume must be hammer. I don't want to do this every night though because I am on a meter and the problem will still be there. I didn't leave a tap running last night and I did get woken at 5.40am by loud hammering noise. It's odd as I've noticed it seems to be around the same time every morning 5.40, whether I've had central heating on or not.

Yes definitely only a diagnosis. It did work the one night I left the kitchen tap on a slow trickle, so I'm not sure if this means I have water hammer. I've also noticed that about 5 minutes after running water I hear a clang of pipes.I didn't leave the tap on last night and was woken by loud hammering noise at 5.40am. I've noticed over the last week it is always about this time. Why 5.40am? One plumber did ask about shared ownership of supply pipes. I did suspect this as I have nothing turned on during the night except the surestop. I am in a detached home so I didn't think I had shared ownership of plumbing. I might have to buy a copy of deeds to find out. What do you recommend?Thanks.

Reply to Advice needed regarding surestop swich in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
My daughter lives alone in a 3 bed semi in the west country. The house is 20 years old. The central heating and hot water are provided from a...
Replies
Views
Hi, I need some urgent advice. I've Just come home after going out for evening, to discover hallway floor and kitchen floor covered in water. On...
Replies
Views
My family and I live in a bungalow, we have lived there for nearly five years. The property was built in 1964. I want to turn off the water supply...
Replies
Views
Oil boiler (now~15 years old) unvented system with 17 radiators. We moved in 5 years ago and I had to keep bleeding the same radiator. The bleed...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock