Discuss advice needed about courses in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

simon24

please can some of you help me out?? Is it worth spending a few thousand pounds on re-training as a plumber with RF Training or other fast track course centers am i wasting my time and money just to be stuck afterwards without any plumber or company to take me on?????

thats a bit of the problem im 34 so i cant go to a usual college and spend 2 years getting just a nvq2

Plumbing work is scarce at the moment and has been for some time, you will probably struggle to get a full-time plumbing job after your course as most company's will be looking for experience more than anything when choosing an employee to hire, good luck anyway

I'm doing my course with Train4Trade skills and my personal recommendation is if you have a fair knowledge of how things work in the industry. These I would recommend.
At this moment I'm just doing my practical and once finshed, I'm going to level 3

basically i think you've answered you own question really tbh. there are loads of threads in a seperate section for training and courses.

Once you're past your 20's it's next to impossible to have a signficant change in career without some sort of previous experience and this doesn't just apply to plumbing. If you're in the construction industry already you'll find it easier than someone coming from the service sector, for example.

Only real way to get going is to become self employed but that can be very risky and a hard slog. The cost of the course will pale into insignificance when compared to buying a van, tools, another course or two (say gas, oil, unvented or whatever), insurance and so on. Then your first jobs will be changing washers, fixing wc's and one off half hour jobs. Then you have to learn how to run a business, how to survive on no earnings for many months, etc.

On the positive side I trained at RF and thought their training was brilliant. Beware the sales chat though as it only applies to the successful people. On my course I'm the only one of the eight who made it into a decent wage - all the others returned to previous jobs. If you do go, say "Hi" to Danny for me (he called me the plum plumber).

one guy whos working with us the now has spent loads of money on courses and is working as a labourer now, he is desperate to get onto our side of the work but its not happening as there are guys with tons of experience sitting in the house doing nothing at the moment as work has dried up

I'm doing my course with Train4Trade skills and my personal recommendation is if you have a fair knowledge of how things work in the industry. These I would recommend.
At this moment I'm just doing my practical and once finshed, I'm going to level 3
[

:clap:And the rest of the knowldge is in this Forum...BRRRLLL:waving::waving:

doesnt matter where u do it fast track or college,the main problem is getting evidence for ur nvq,you need on the job evidence(photos/write ups) i can tell you college would be the cheaper option fast track fees are just scandolous.if you dont get the evidence ou end up with the city and guilds only 61289 which you will find hard to get employment with so youre only option would be setting up on ur own.

you've got virtually no chance of getting a job at the moment imo
you would have to go self employed.

to do that you will need ÂŁÂŁÂŁÂŁ's to get started and be a marketing genius in this current economic climate

i started 3 years ago and things are no better now than they were then, in fact they seem to be worse if anything.

We'll get there..

It's not all doom and gloom. Those with the determination to succeed are the ones who will. If you do a course, you'll need a second job as your income for the forseeable future, then when you feel you've gained enough experience, self employment is basically your main route to a career in this industry.

Team up with an experienced plumber if you can find one that will let you and learn from him, but please don't sell yourself short and offer to work for free as is often the case on the many posts about this on this forum. Teaming up with a plumber will be the hard part as often it's seen as training the competition.

Think positive mate!

thanks i havnt given up yet but it has made me think a little more!!

thanks i havnt given up yet but it has made me think a little more!!
I'd suggest look for for the best outcome and and keep seeking, that way you'll know what light is at the end of the tunnell.. best of luck pal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to advice needed about courses in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, My current hot water system needs to be replaced. Anyone got any suggestions or can recommend any plumbers around Derrimut area that won't...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock