Discuss A simple problem to fix, I hope - any help appreciated. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

squirrelia

I have a quick and hopefully simple to fix problem - I hope someone can offer some wisdom. Many thanks to anyone with some ideas..

I have a blockage in my kitchen sink drain pipe - I have already dismantled the trap and it's clear, and have chucked all manner of chemical rubbish down there to no avail. Water drains but extremely slowly (by a millimetre per 30 mins or so). Have bought an auger but there's a 90 degree corner in the pipe which it can't get around, and I'm sure the blockage is behind that.

The corner bit of pipe is a FloPlast push fit corner, and I can't get it off. If I could remove it I think the auger would do the trick.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as we can't do any washing/washing up til it's fixed and I'm so frustrated!!

Thanks,
Emma

Depending where you are in the country, it could be freezing. If it is and is still runing away slightly, boiling water will clear it.

Otherwise, get yourself down to b and q and get some of this

[DLMURL="http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?action=detail&fh_secondid=9271678&fh_view_size=10&fh_location=%2f%2fcatalog01%2fen_GB&fh_search=one+shot&fh_eds=%C3%9F&fh_refview=search&ts=1292687024383&isSearch=true"]One Shot Drain Cleaner ONESHOT, ONESHOT[/DLMURL]

Read the instructions before use and wear rubber gloves. It is acid.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, you havnt said how or where it terminates so maybe try from the other end?

Thanks for the suggestions/comments so far -

Tamz -
I saw One Shot in the hardware shop but it said you mustn't use it if other chemicals had been used so was wary. I've already used Mr Muscle and one other sink unblocking gel.

It could well be freezing (London - under snow right now!) but I think it's been getting gradually slower to drain over the last week or two when the weather's been better, so can possibly rule that out.

Garrywhite -
I'm not sure what this means, sorry - after the trap the water travels through a pipe into the outside wall of our first floor flat. No idea where it goes next or how to access it. With the snow I'm not sure I could access much from outside anyway?

Thanks again - any other suggestions appreciated!
Emma

Ok. How to get that bend off. Put a bowl underneath with some towels and pour boiling water over the fitting. Nice and slowly. Give it a minute then wearing gloves or another towel to protect your hands try and then pull off the fitting. The idea is the hot water will expand the fitting enough for you to pull it apart.

IF you're in London. Theres a really good chance it could be freezing. I'm in the South East, and just got back from a local call out. Three frozen pipes, all in different areas of the house.

Thanks for the ideas.

A plumbing-minded friend has suggested that I saw through the length of pipe after the elbow and unblock either side depending on where the blockage is, fixing it with a universal coupling afterwards. Think this might be the easiest solution if I can't get the elbow off using the hot water method.

Looking forward to having my sink back!

Thanks again all, and merry christmas - E

If you can cut the pipe a few feet away from the elbow counld you try shoving something down to push through it. I had one the other day behind a unit, i tryied some drainbuster but didn't work. So i managed to cut pipe before it went behind unit and pushed some plastic 10m pipe down and rod it through. Then just put a socket on.

not calling the obvious here, but, have you tried a plunger, a good quality one before you start wrecking your plumbing?.

Did tu get it sorted????????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to A simple problem to fix, I hope - any help appreciated. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to...
Replies
Views
I have an ideal vogue max S18 boiler and I’m considering fitting auto balancing TRVs, my question relates to the boilers pump. I see a boiler...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have an old steel water mains pipe (approx 45mm) that I need to connect to a new pehd water mains (25mm). I can't get at it to create a new...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock