Search the forum,

Discuss A really good, quick modern tool to fully clean all the way down Yorkies? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Guest123

I've been experimenting with an abrasive pad wrapped round a stubby ink marker for cleaning inside 15mm Yorkie fittings and it works well, but I've always used steel wool in fittings as well. Problem is it's very difficult to clean the copper past the solder ring with anything and I'm getting fed up with steel wool and pads etc after all these years. I've experimented too with a wee abrasive disc on a Dremel, which works really well on end fit and quickly and effortlessly gets the fittings really clean but on Yorkies, this files down the solder ring as well and again doesn't clean the base of the fitting past the solder. The abrasive brushes are cack as they don't last either.

I like trying out new things especially if it makes my job easier and quicker so I am interested if anyone has got a modern up to date tool for cleaning thoroughly inside Yorkie fittings with minimal effort and all the way down to the base of the fitting past the solder ring? With todays technology, there must surely be an alternative to cleaning pads, steel wool and steel brushes for cleaning inside Yorkie fittings.

Last edited by a moderator:
stel wool /foam sanding pads,pipecleaner/deburrer (red double ended) and have no problems o and i also carry a couple of fine half round files

stel wool /foam sanding pads,pipecleaner/deburrer (red double ended) and have no problems o and i also carry a couple of fine half round files
Got all that and used it for years. Looking for something mechanical not manual.

You're meant to clean them inside before using them? Mine come in plastic bags all shiney from bes and I take them out one by one and use them. Don't seem to need cleaning?

How about a wire flue brush on your Dremel.
Got a link to one that will fit inside a 15mm Yorkie? All the wee cleaning brushes I have won't fit, but the abrasive cleaning discs do.
I'm just trying to get something different from the traditional steel wool, pads, abrasive strip and cack brushes etc.
Plenty of tools for cleaning the outside of copper pipe available, just not seen a good modern one for inside Yorkie fittings.

Last edited by a moderator:
You're meant to clean them inside before using them? Mine come in plastic bags all shiney from bes and I take them out one by one and use them. Don't seem to need cleaning?
Supposed to clean them, remove oil and stuff in the fitting.

I have never cleaned one unless it's an old fitting showing signs of oxidation. Never had a problem.

I don't actually use yorkies anyway just cheap solder ring. But am paranoid after reading you saying you found solder got jammed in taps and whatnot.

I got this in a flue brush set I bought last week, copper bristles and smaller diameter than a 5p.
5284f9ef-54d0-bcb5.jpg

Ok u said not manual but i used those crack brushes and got fed up, then found if i use those green abrasive pads, they wear out quick too. So now i put the two together, sounds like a mission but it's easy. I just lay the green pads flat, run my stanley over about 3/4" strips, then just rip off a strip as i need them. The strips are wrapped over the knackered brush and used until i need a new piece. The brush hold the strips in 'place'. In effect I am refreshing the brushes as required. It's much longer to write than to do...

I use an aggressive flux so I don't need to do that. If its a very old fitting I'll flux it and heat it up inside with the torch. Job done.

get a piece of 6-8mm rod
cut a slit in it
get some scotchbrite and cut a square out
slide scotchbrite down slit in rod
put rod into cordless....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to A really good, quick modern tool to fully clean all the way down Yorkies? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock