Discuss A pyschologist on the radio said.. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaterTight

Esteemed
Plumber
Subscribed
When dealing with managing likely successes people are cautious, when faced with a small loss or a bigger loss people frequently gamble.

Very interesting.

I wonder how knowledge of this lesser known trait in most people could be used to make them spend more money.

Wife's a Clinical pysc. Some of her mates from uni work in advertising. They are very manipulative!

Aversion to potential loss is also much stronger than the attraction of potential gain.

Which is why lots of offers are phrased as "Don't miss out - act today..." instead of "Take advantage - act today".

And the most powerful of all is:

If you offer people two solutions to a problem, they will usually pick the cheaper. This is particularly true of rarely made purchases, where the buyer lacks experience or a fixed expectation of price point.

But if you offer three solutions, they will usually pick the mid-priced one. So it is often worth offering a very high spec solution which you have no expectation of selling, merely to increase the number of mid-priced sales. And if you do sell a few of the gold-plated solutions, then so much the better.

Perhaps more realistic at a lower level would be:

Refurbish cistern with new fill valve, new flush valve - result has 2 yrs parts and labour on whole thing. ÂŁ120
Replace faulty syphon only, - limited 1 yr warranty on syphon only ÂŁ80
Botch up syphon washer - no warranty because the cistern is old and something else is bound to go wrong soon ÂŁ50

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to A pyschologist on the radio said.. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We have 2 brand new cordless, battery powered press tools in stock, and flying off the shelves. Our TekTools TZ1930 & TZ1550 are packed with...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new...
Replies
Views
Fitted unvented hotwater cylinder building control looking forms signed it off job was in england i am qualified northern ireland send out a form...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock