Search the forum,

Discuss 56v on neutral in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Evening

I've not posted for a while and have had to set up a new account as I can't find my old one.

Moving on I have a wiring conundrum.

Customer called said heating had died no lights on programmer. At the property the customer also asked if I could change the honeywell wiring centre (with pcb) as it was in pieces whilst there. Stupidly I did not check neutral to earth etc before starting apart from if there was a live to backplate with death stick. So changed programmer and just put in a honeywell junction box with no pcb. Turned spur on and boom - breaker goes out.

After much effort of checking disconnecting etc I couldn't get the breaker to stay on. Fuse board was breaking on mcb and had two rcds. In the end I had a new fused spur wired into brand new programmer only (literally nothing else) this time when I put the spur on the breaker broke again. I then checked the programmer on a fly lead from bedroom sockets and it worked perfectly.

I Advised customer that a new wire from the board and fused spur is needed (retired spark- he agreed) meantime I wired heating back together and run off a fly lead from bedroom sockets and three pin plug fused to 3amp. Three port moved to hot water only to mid to heating only perfectly boiler pump all working..

Customer runs new cable and tests with socket tester which said fine then puts in fused spur. I go back to today. Remove fly lead and put into spur. Turn spur on and exactly the same problem. I wire back to fly lead/plug and all works fine again

Has anyone got any ideas. Thanks in advance

I'm not an electrician so I'm not sure I'm thinking along the right lines. Where you getting this neutral voltage at the fused spur?. @Murdoch can you explain the possibilities for the above problem?

So you have 57 volts between neutral and earth on incoming to spur and as soon as you flick the switch the mcb trips? And that was the same with a new fused spur and just a programmer?

He replaced the spur with a new unit (although not proved faulty as well) and still the same. Could this be a broken neutral problem somewhere? Was an initial thought of mine but like I said I'm not an electrician

Guys just thought I would update thread.

Went back today with my electrician.

Basically a socket tester only checks the path of a neutral. So the fact the socket tester indicates it was ok didn't mean it was not the problem.

He actually wired in a lamp that worked fine. However when he wired the heating in it broke the mcb.

It's a neutral fault somewhere in the house that needs to be rectified which he is going back to do.

Hard lesson here I think is the basic electric tests I should have carried out on the spur rather than presuming it was the heating wiring in the first place.

Reply to 56v on neutral in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock