Search the forum,

Discuss 4 inch run in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaydebruyne

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Went to look at a job last week - leak from a sanipro unit on the first floor.. turns out that the unit is defective. When I investigated the pipework the installer has run the waste outlet from the macerator into a rainwater pipe outside!!!

I advised the lady how bad this was and that it needs to be rectified asap.

Anyway, she wants me to see if I can connect her bathroom to the main waste system. As far as I could see there wasn't a stack, just a 4inch elbow sticking out the floor on the ground floor for the downstairs loo connected to a run of 4 inch under the floor.

What I'm going to do on Monday is open up her celiling to see if there is enough height to run some 4inch under the 1st level flooring, open up the floor where this 4inch run is on the ground floor and tee into it.

But this would need to be vented wouldn't it? I need to check if there is a vent which serves a few houses (terraced) - as far as I can remember from college there can be one vented stack per 6 houses I think.

The more I think about this job the more I just don't want to do it.

What's the min fall for about 4 meters of 4inch before a vertical drop to the pipework under the floor? Is it even possible to tee into horizontal 4inch with a vertical branch? (Is the tee swept?)

23mm per metre fall on above ground drainage if I remember right. I would vent the stack with a n internal durgo, automatic air vent, at least, Make sure the durgo is accessible as it will want replacing or repairing one day. Yes tee's are swept.

23mm per metre fall on above ground drainage if I remember right. I would vent the stack with a n internal durgo, automatic air vent, at least, Make sure the durgo is accessible as it will want replacing or repairing one day. Yes tee's are swept.

The AAV needs to be on same level as the toilet doesn't it? Has to be at the highest point of the run?

Cheers Jones82

Yes above the height of the cistern at the very least other wise you might get leaks if the toilet blocks!

A good place is usually the loft as access is easy when the aav needs replacing, please don't tile it in a pipe box, as I've seen that done many times ;)

Just had a thought, maybe run externally and come back in if possible, always the easiest and best way if possible

Last edited:
Above the highest outlet, so needs to be above the basin waste!

I think she may just have to stick with her saniflo- need the keep the AAV internally and she's not gonna want a vertical bit of 4inch pipe with AAV sticking out above her tiled boxing lol

The only way it could be done externally is by bringing a branch up through the roof of the extension which the run would pass through but then she'll need a roofer too! Oh dear...

How old is the property? Is it a semi or a terraced? Are you sure there is no stack?

Terraced.. not sure how old. Gonna have a proper look Monday but owner is sure there isn't one..

Ok back in the day on old council terraced houses, they used to ave one vent pipe to four four properties, although I'm sure I've seen some with six! Ave a look at the other properties

Here if you need me mate.

There aren't any circumstances you can run a sani unit (toilet) into a rain water system is there? I know the answer but just need to be 110% certain by hearing it...

There aren't any circumstances you can run a sani unit (toilet) into a rain water system is there? I know the answer but just need to be 110% certain by hearing it...

NO - come on Jay have a bit of confidants

If it is an old house is the drainage system a combined or separate one?

Just for the record a Durgo / A.A.A.V does not vent a stack ! as it only allows air in not out. Which could be an important consideration if there is a pumped waste.

4M of smooth bore 110mm soil laid horizontally would need no more than a turn of a bubble :wink_smile:

Take some photos Jay I can't understand what you are proposing.

Tee into horizontal 4" with vertical branch. If horizontal run is busy sewer this would work, but where horizontal flow is intermittent it may be better to keep branch horizontal then connect with radius bend to vertical drop.

As Chris said earlier you are 110% correct.
Last one I saw was an Indian restaurant running the waste from both the Male & Female toilets to the rain water system. I told them it all had to be changed and was kicked off site. 2 days later the placed was closed for business following a quick phone call to the council.

Wonder who made that call? :rockon2:

So here are some pics of what I want to achieve -

Basically, behind the wall behind the toilet is where the extension begins. I have 8 inches room in total for about a 3m run which is plenty room (the empty run pictured).

It will then come out the right side of the utility room (where all the coats are) at ceiling level, I'll have to do a 90 from there to other side and then down to the collar sticking out the ground (where the flexi/elbow are going into).

The only real issues I have are:

1. I also need to run a basin and shower into this run behind the toilet which are currently plumbed into the sanipro unit behind the toilet. Not sure how I'm going to do this regarding space.

2. Going from the toilet into the cavity in the ceiling.. How am I going to get past the wall & joist?

Ay help would be fantastic!!

2016-11-28 18.27.43.jpg

2016-11-28 18.28.39.jpg

2016-11-28 18.29.07.jpg

2016-11-28 18.30.51.jpg

2016-11-28 18.58.06.jpg

2016-11-28 19.09.20.jpg

Is it possible to install a durgo aav (the ones you can fit below the flood level) next to a toilet inside some boxing - it'll be used to vent that bathroom and toilet on floor below.

Also, since when did shared vents become illegal??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to 4 inch run in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi guys question about saniflos đź’© I'm working at a property that the entire place was fed off a sani, that's packed up, blocked the line entirely and they've urgently had to get me to replace and make some changes, initially I was going to install a sanivite for the kitchen sink separately...
Replies
Views
Hello. This is my first ever post asking for help. I had a bathroom renovation done early this year which I did myself. I wanted to have a low level shower tray sitting flush to the ground and was not able to get access to the main vented stack as it's boxed in from the inside of the house and...
Replies
Views
S
Plumber replaced drain line under the bathroom. The drain line transitions from a 2 inch drain line to a 4 inch Y connector. Is this connection proper? I wonder if the Y connector should have a 2 inch opening to accept the 2 inch drain line to make this a proper transition.
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and just some background on myself. I have 4 years experience as a plumber but haven't worked in the trade in 15 years. I would say my overall knowledge is not great as I did most of the 4 years working on rinse and repeat estates of houses. I was also quite young and...
Replies
Views
J
Hi all, Just in process of relocating kitchen & utility to other side of house but have a question re venting requirements. I intend to connect a sink and dishwasher in the kitchen and a sink and washing machine in the utility room to a 50mm waste pipe running within the suspended floor to...
Replies
Views
Joeab88
J
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock