Search the forum,

Discuss 2.5 million pound fine in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

unguided1

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
BG have been fined 2.5 million pounds for failling to deal with customer complaints, they have also started selling and installing renewable energy systems to customers, therefore must be MCS accredited, So my question is, are they a fit company to hold the MCS accreditation be assured by REAL if they have recently been found guilty and fined for failling to deal with customer complaints.

In my opinion no they are not, what are your thoughts, Discuss

Totally agree, the thing with BG is that they "bought" their MCS by buying out a small Renewables firm down south (or so I heard) Cool Planet or something like that. Personally I would like to see a suspension of their MCS until a thorough investigation can be carried out as they have been fined for effectively being a Rogue trader. But I'm vindictive like that! lol:reddevil:

they're a major corporation so different rules apply, they probably dont even pay tax the dogs

Are the complaints being leveled at the gas suplier BG or Centrica? They're two totally different companies under the one umberella. least they were when I worked for them! Anyhoo's they're a business out to make money like any other and can do whatever they wish. IMHO

one law for them another for us , hopefully for not much longer , I suspect engineers are forced to cut corners to make up their wages which is not right

Just found out they were fined on July 1 £1m for misreporting the amount of electricity supplied under the Government's Renewables Obligation.

British gas customers are welcome to email the Managing director of British Gas with their concerns
[DLMURL="http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Business/British-Gas-To-Raise-Gas-Prices-By-18-and-Electricity-Costs-By-16/Article/201107216026640"][email protected]

[/DLMURL]

Last edited by a moderator:
BG have been fined 2.5 million pounds for failling to deal with customer complaints, they have also started selling and installing renewable energy systems to customers, therefore must be MCS accredited, So my question is, are they a fit company to hold the MCS accreditation be assured by REAL if they have recently been found guilty and fined for failling to deal with customer complaints.

In my opinion no they are not, what are your thoughts, Discuss

lol unguided1, your a devious soul :)

If they do lose their MCS accreditation they can always ask unguided to sign off heat pumps for them:tt1:

Just found out they were fined on July 1 £1m for misreporting the amount of electricity supplied under the Government's Renewables Obligation.

British gas customers are welcome to email the Managing director of British Gas with their concerns
[DLMURL="http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Business/British-Gas-To-Raise-Gas-Prices-By-18-and-Electricity-Costs-By-16/Article/201107216026640"][email protected]

[/DLMURL]

Nice find that Eco I am wondering wether I should leave this for some of Mickw's diplomacy or if I should go blundering in with me size tens and a lump hammer

Last edited by a moderator:
If they do lose their MCS accreditation they can always ask unguided to sign off heat pumps for them:tt1:

Not a chance Ive already got my loophole they can bugger off and find another one if they want or just by up a couple of other MCS companies!!!!!!!!

Nice find that Eco I am wondering wether I should leave this for some of Mickw's diplomacy or if I should go blundering in with me size tens and a lump hammer

Leave it to Mikew and if thet doesn't work then well.................

This sort of story is what Private Eye (magazine) lives on - good find Unguided1!!

Oh well after the announcment yesterday that they were fined 2.5 million pounds centrica have announced a 1.5 billion pound profit for last year so even the fine is a joke.

apparently they sold their gas at a loss last year which is why they're putting prices up this year!!! yeah right almost makes me feel sorry for them.

The Fact is that one of the major arguments for MCS accreditation is that you have to have an expensive QMS, and REAL assurance to protect the customer from misselling and bad installation British gas in my eyes and the courts eyes have proved that they are incapable of correctly dealing with customer complaints and therefore are not a fit company to hold MCS

The Real assurance code available to view here Consumer Code - Scheme - REAL Assurance Scheme has been broken by British Gas so I presume this is now happening,

[h=4]10 Monitoring performance[/h]The scheme administrator will assess how effective the Code is in delivering higher standards to consumers. The scheme administrator will carry out the following monitoring and auditing measures, and report the results to the panel:
  • assess feedback from consumers obtained through consumer satisfaction surveys;
  • analyse cases it is aware of in which members have not kept to the Code;
  • carry out regular audit compliance checks of members' performance;
  • analysis of conciliation and arbitration cases; and
  • carry out 'mystery shopping' exercises to judge members' performance.
The scheme administrator will publish the results of this monitoring in an annual report, which it will make available to members, the Office of Fair Trading and other relevant organisations, and also publish it on the website. The report will include plans for improving consumer satisfaction levels and the contents of the Code. The panel will then consider them and take any appropriate action.

The Real assurance code available to view here Consumer Code - Scheme - REAL Assurance Scheme has been broken by British Gas so I presume this is now happening,

[h=4]10 Monitoring performance[/h]The scheme administrator will assess how effective the Code is in delivering higher standards to consumers. The scheme administrator will carry out the following monitoring and auditing measures, and report the results to the panel:
  • assess feedback from consumers obtained through consumer satisfaction surveys;
  • analyse cases it is aware of in which members have not kept to the Code;
  • carry out regular audit compliance checks of members' performance;
  • analysis of conciliation and arbitration cases; and
  • carry out 'mystery shopping' exercises to judge members' performance.
The scheme administrator will publish the results of this monitoring in an annual report, which it will make available to members, the Office of Fair Trading and other relevant organisations, and also publish it on the website. The report will include plans for improving consumer satisfaction levels and the contents of the Code. The panel will then consider them and take any appropriate action.

Well I had a chat with a bloke at REAL today and asked the question about BG and all he could do was to respond with the consumer code garbage directly of the page, the fact is that they said that they were unaware of any problems and if there were, they would follow the code, which I suspect is code for do buggerall

I also had a chat with BRE Global who administer the MCS for BG, They also claimed that there were no problems and that if there were they believed they were being handled by OFGEM I was also asked to submit any questions to them in writing if I wanted any further answers, So once again do you guys have any questions that you would like answered, if so I will put them in the letter

I like it Mike, size 10's straight in.LOL

Well I think we both know what needs to go in the letter but I think that it will be a total waste of time, what money does BG's registration bring in to the likes of REAL and BRE, a dam site more than they get from the likes of me and you. I have paid REAL for 2 years now but never again.

A more beneficial letter writing exercise might be to the papers, gas safe, oftec CIPHE and any of the trade mags. let every one know whats going on.

If it was a small company or self employed person that had been fined for some customer related problem you would be ejected from real and mcs quicker than you could say "BRITISH GAS"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to 2.5 million pound fine in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Informative
Why am I not surprised? Britain’s gas network still using engines from 1960s RAF fighter jets Ageing aircraft turbines will cost millions to replace, says National Gas chief Jonathan Leake14 January 2024 • 5:49pm Mr Butterworth, chief executive of National Gas, says the network is powered by...
Replies
Views
So I bought my first flat recently (am in UK) and in a bit of a pickle as the bathroom has turned up lots of problems that weren't picked up by the survey. I have had loads of plumbers over, and have always carefully checked their reviews/tried to vet them as much as possible. However, I've had...
Replies
Views
Okay, so this is part of a wider efforts to balance the books for the forums. We're trialing it out. But it comes with some good benefits as well as a few ads. So read the whole thread please before judging and replying. :) New Ads for logged-in users unless you have any one of the below:- You...
Replies
Views
H
Opportunities are available in the following areas: Scotland Wales (Aberystwyth) East of England Midlands East Anglia South East South Central London We look after our customers’ worlds everyday by providing value for money, dedicated customer service, innovative energy solutions and the...
Replies
Views
Dotty
D
H
British Gas are looking to recruit enthusiastic, customer focused Trainee Gas Engineers to grow and become fully qualified within our Service & Repair business, in return you can expect to receive a rewarding benefits package including a van, all of your equipment, the latest laptop technology...
Replies
Views
REDSAW
R
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock