Discuss 17 year old apprentice in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chalked

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hi
are there any college tutors on here? @chriswatkins ?
i have taken on a 17 year old lad. He has done his level 1 & 2 at college. They can't do level 3 and so on without a job.
so...... I take him on, only to find that he needs a year of work before his level two is complete. So, that's this year to just work and get regular site visits from assessors from the local college. That's fine, but because he is under 18 he has to be in some sort of education. So they are now saying he needs to do an IT course for two hours a week! To secure government funding. This is on a Wednesday at 3.30PM. As I work all over the place, he will have to have the day off, just to do somthing he already knows!

the system is rubbish. And I'm meant to pay him

They don't make it easy for small businesses do they!

Hi
are there any college tutors on here? @chriswatkins ?
i have taken on a 17 year old lad. He has done his level 1 & 2 at college. They can't do level 3 and so on without a job.
so...... I take him on, only to find that he needs a year of work before his level two is complete. So, that's this year to just work and get regular site visits from assessors from the local college. That's fine, but because he is under 18 he has to be in some sort of education. So they are now saying he needs to do an IT course for two hours a week! To secure government funding. This is on a Wednesday at 3.30PM. As I work all over the place, he will have to have the day off, just to do somthing he already knows!

the system is rubbish. And I'm meant to pay him

Can you not get him enrolled in an evening class doing basic electrics or something that will benefit him and you.

Plus he is in full time education with you, so why does he need more hours of education.

Can you not get him enrolled in an evening class doing basic electrics or something that will benefit him and you.

Plus he is in full time education with you, so why does he need more hours of education.

(part p) would be good also

Just wait until he is useful enough to do a bit on his own and try and insure him on a van! I'm being quoted crazy prices for my 18 year old apprentice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to 17 year old apprentice in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Welcome again! I'm 45, a Registered Adult nurse working in busy, acute medical wards. At work, I almost constantly deal with fluids and tiny...
Replies
Views
My daughter bought her first home and was hoping to convert to gas but its not available in the area, so thinking a boiler upgrade is the better...
Replies
Views
Not sure what my options are here. Basically a friend of mine recommended his father in law to do our plumbing/gas work for our renovation. First...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just had a neighbour knock the door regarding a water hammer issue. My own house developed this issue sometime last year as well which is...
Replies
Views
This issue arose about a year ago. Does anyone have an idea why I occasionally hear (about once every hour or longer) a hammer related noise...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock