Search the forum,

Discuss Zone valve query in the Plumbing Zone area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi

I have 3 zone valves, one per floor.

I am having an Evohome system fitted so that I can get better control over the room temperatures.

The exisiting zone valves will no longer be required and so it would make sense for them to be removed and replaced by pipe.

The main issue is that a couple of the zone valves are hard to get at. One is high up behind a screwed panel that has not been removed for over 10 years and the other, for some inexplicable reason, is behind the toilet at the very bottom of it and would necessitate the removal of the toilet.

Can the zone valves remain and be kept in the open position somehow and if they can is there any chance that they could accidently close which would really upset the Evohome as there would be no water flow?

Thanks
Colin

If you electronically leave them open (with demand via an existing stat/linking the stat wire), the motor will eventually burn out and close the valve.

You need to get to the valve and either remove the head/manually open the valve or with the head still on, manually open it (any signal to the valve could reset it, so it will need to be electrically disconnected).

For difficult to reach valves, some sort of customised pole and patience should allow you to manually open it without removing the toilet.

If you electronically leave them open (with demand via an existing stat/linking the stat wire), the motor will eventually burn out and close the valve.

You need to get to the valve and either remove the head/manually open the valve or with the head still on, manually open it (any signal to the valve could reset it, so it will need to be electrically disconnected).

For difficult to reach valves, some sort of customised pole and patience should allow you to manually open it without removing the toilet.
Hi Timmy

Many thanks for the reply.

So I can simply have the wires removed from power (at the end where they all join up where they meet at the cylinder before going to the boiler) and move the lever to manually open the valve and then they will remain open?

Thanks
Colin

Hi Timmy

Many thanks for the reply.

So I can simply have the wires removed from power (at the end where they all join up where they meet at the cylinder before going to the boiler) and move the lever to manually open the valve and then they will remain open?

Thanks
Colin

Yes. You need to make sure you remove the correct wires.

You also need to make sure you have a way to turn the boiler on when heating is call for.

Usually the programmer turns heating on, it sends power to the stat, which then sends power to the zone valve, which when open, then sends power to the boiler to fire up.

If you remove the zone valve, how are you gonna tell the boiler to come on?

Either from stat or programmer. I guess you’re removing stat, so will need to be from the programmer.

Yes. You need to make sure you remove the correct wires.

You also need to make sure you have a way to turn the boiler on when heating is call for.

Usually the programmer turns heating on, it sends power to the stat, which then sends power to the zone valve, which when open, then sends power to the boiler to fire up.

If you remove the zone valve, how are you gonna tell the boiler to come on?

Either from stat or programmer. I guess you’re removing stat, so will need to be from the programmer.
Hi Timmy

The system is being upgraded to an Evohome and is to be done by a local installer.

They were going to remove the zone valves and make good with pipework but when I saw where the zone valves were (especially the one that requires the toilet removal) I thought it would be a good idea to seek independent advice as to whether it would be possible (and wiser) to leave them in situ.

Many thanks for the input as I have a better understanding now.
Colin

Reply to Zone valve query in the Plumbing Zone area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
I have a plumber coming tomorrow to change a cartridge on a badly dripping tap on my bathroom mixer unit. There is no separate isolating valve for this tap so I'll have to close the stopcock. I tried closing it today but it won't go absolutely 100% closed and there is still a very slight flow...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock