Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Worcester greenstar fans = rubbish? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mike_s

Just replaced one this evening on a cdi just 3 years old, thankfully it wasn't one we installed but we have had had a couple of fans go on greenstars no more than 3 years old and more on slightly older greenstars.

I've had enough with them, not fitted any this year but have fitted hundereds in the past and if I could have it my way I wouldn't fit another.
Anybody else find the lifespan of Worcester fans ridiculous? I don't know how they get away with it claiming to be market leaders.

Last edited by a moderator:
last one i had fail had backed up with condensate trough lack of servicing ,have changed a few that had not though glad i dont fit worcesters

Changed one on a junior last week 14 months old. our company are approved installers so give 5 year guarantee and worcester pay us to change them so can't complain.

We are also worcester accredited installers and they've even done us favours outside of the warranty which is great but this still shouldn't be happening in the first place.
gas man that's an interesting point that I didn't think of, as the syphon for this boiler was the most blocked I have seen, full of grey rubbish from the heat exchanger is it? Could this have caused the fan? If so then cleaning one out on service is extra important. I took this syphon apart, scraped and cleaned out the crap.

We are also worcester accredited installers and they've even done us favours outside of the warranty which is great but this still shouldn't be happening in the first place.
gas man that's an interesting point that I didn't think of, as the syphon for this boiler was the most blocked I have seen, full of grey rubbish from the heat exchanger is it? Could this have caused the fan? If so then cleaning one out on service is extra important. I took this syphon apart, scraped and cleaned out the crap.

it could well have been the cause,the one i had condensate backed up and went into the fan

They get away with claiming to be market leadres through good marketing and previous reputation, installers and engineers know this is not the case .

as the syphon for this boiler was the most blocked I have seen, full of grey rubbish from the heat exchanger is it? Could this have caused the fan? If so then cleaning one out on service is extra important. I took this syphon apart, scraped and cleaned out the crap.

Aluminium heat exchangers causing problems,there's a good reason for choosing a boiler with a stainless steel HX

Aluminium heat exchangers causing problems,there's a good reason for choosing a boiler with a stainless steel HX

thats one of the reasons i fit the duotec/golds the other is that they are not made out of plastic

Ive got a greenstar he plus thats 5 years olds and its been brilliant not a sinlge problem. Not sure how good the new ones are... But the old one is great apart from the price.. ( I paid around ÂŁ1500 in 2006)

Ive got a greenstar he plus thats 5 years olds and its been brilliant not a sinlge problem. Not sure how good the new ones are... But the old one is great apart from the price.. ( I paid around ÂŁ1500 in 2006)

had a full strip down service on it including the red gasket replaced?

had a full strip down service on it including the red gasket replaced?
No. Havent found the time to do it!! still going strong tho. The only thing i do is a yearly clean with fernox and replace the inhibitor. Not done the service..Lazy I know..

tap 030 (WinCE).jpg
could be tears before bedtime then this is a 3 year old one yours may be close to torching its self..................and your house

Last edited by a moderator:
A new gasket came with this fan.
Back to the blocked condensate trap possibly causing the fan to go, it seems obvious now that this is probably the case, I'll remind them about a service next year anyway.

no a greenstar junior in all fairness yours may have the other type of h/e but most use this gasket
Thanks for the heads up will have a look at it asap.
My basic point was the old HE+ model has been pretty good for me. I have really services any WB so cant really comment on their reliability too much

if its the older type will have a different h/e so wont have this issue best to check anyway

I fit loads of worcesters and don't have any problems, great boilers imo, otherwise I wouldnt fit them in my family's houses.

But like any gas appliance you shoud have it regulary serviced and any gaskets replaced that are showing signs of wear, who would buy a brand new car and drive it around for several years without a service?

Just been to another house with a cdi the same age as the one who's fan went and he's never had it serviced so advised him to particulary with worcesters as the condensate traps block up, could see his full of stones so he's getting me back for a service.
From now we will be replacing gaskets every 2-3 years and cleaning heat exchangers. We will go on the junior and si course first as that is what we have installed, we went on the cdi course which was a waste of time and never showed how to strip down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Worcester greenstar fans = rubbish? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have a Worcester Bosch Greenstar 15i condenser boiler which is about 13 years old. There is a separate hot water tank. Recently the fan in the...
Replies
Views
About 5 year ago, I had a new central heating system (radiators) installed to replace my old warm air underfloor system. The warm air side of the...
Replies
Views
We have recently moved into a property which has a Worcester Greenstar Highflow 440 Standalone Combi gas boiler. This appears to be a relatively...
Replies
Views
HI folks, this post is a follow up to my post relating to my single pipe heating system. In summary, I have a house built in 1980 (I bought it 2...
Replies
Views
I have a 16 year-old Worcester Bosch Greenstar 35 CDi combi boiler, which is recently suffering from intermittent issues with the hot water. I...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock