Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss worcester 28i junior in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikegas

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Going to above boiler later this evening for a friend the boiler is not working in ch mode but fine in hw. If everything is calling for heat am i right in thinking diverter valve is the problem and if so how do i prove the fault before replacing the part because im not sure which type of diverter valve is in this boiler, thanks

do you know which terminals i need to link out to prove that, is it is it neutral and live supply or neutral live return?

Last edited:
do you know which terminals i need to link out to prove that, is it is it neutral and live supply or neutral live return?

U link out the 'live out' to 'live in' ie to and from the stat/timer

so if the boards sending 240v out to the controls (live out) it should recieve it back to the board(live in) with all controls calling for heat. Linking these 2 together will prove if the controls are faulty or not

U link out the 'live out' to 'live in' ie to and from the stat/timer

so if the boards sending 240v out to the controls (live out) it should recieve it back to the board(live in) with all controls calling for heat. Linking these 2 together will prove if the controls are faulty or not

No experience of a 28i then:eek:

No experience of a 28i then:eek:

how do you come to that conclusion smarta**e?

Firstly, I am not saying that the controls are definitely at fault, i was merely telling the OP roughly how to link out the ext controls.

Secondly, the only thing I can't recall offhand is whether the voltage from the pcb to controls is ac or dc. If you wana get technical, link out terminals Ls - Lr on the strip ST2 at the pcb. This will prove if the controls are faulty or not. In saying that it could still be a board fault, ie not giving power out. Personally I'd remove the timer/stat facia and link them out on their back panels as it's usually less time consuming.

Keep ur smarmy comments to yourself next time plz

im no expert at breakdowns but isnt the diverter on these a simple electroinc paddle type? i wouldnt expect it to break. it would point to the board wouldnt it?

im no expert at breakdowns but isnt the diverter on these a simple electroinc paddle type? i wouldnt expect it to break. it would point to the board wouldnt it?

It's not got a diverter valve mate. It's a dual pass heat exchanger. The hw operates throught a paddle turbine. But the OP says it's the heating at fault not the water. It could be the pcb at fault but I'd guess it wud be the ext controls

Thanks for the advice, i linked LS an LR on ST10 terminal and boiler fired. The external controls are a wireless stat/clock, the receiver doesnt even fire the boiler on override so is the receiver the fault?

It's not got a diverter valve mate. It's a dual pass heat exchanger. The hw operates throught a paddle turbine. But the OP says it's the heating at fault not the water. It could be the pcb at fault but I'd guess it wud be the ext controls

it does have a diverter valve mate

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice, i linked LS an LR on ST10 terminal and boiler fired. The external controls are a wireless stat/clock, the receiver doesnt even fire the boiler on override so is the receiver the fault?

It's probably a safer bet to replace both mate, I know it's extra expense but there's no guarantees if you change one of the them that it'll fix it.

it does have a diverter valve mate

The 28i junior?

Did it have a hw/plate heat exchanger?

I'm positive it's a paddle turbine(fancy flow switch) rather than a proper diverter valve.

does that mean this boiler has seperate internal plumbing for heating and hw? a bit like the original combis? more advanced obviously

yeah separate dhw heat ex

Is it a 28cdi/rsf rather than a junior.

I'm racking my brain here but I'm positive than no w/Bosch juniors have diverter valves

does that mean this boiler has seperate internal plumbing for heating and hw? a bit like the original combis? more advanced obviously

kinda, the easiest way to tell is if the main h/e has 4pipes entering it. This is a dual pass h/e.

A diverter valve(dv) boiler has two pipes entering the main h/e and will also have a plate or secondary h/e.

A dv boiler uses the heating water to indirectly heat the hot water.
A dual pass h/e boiler uses direct flame heat to the hot water.
However I'm still unsure if the OP is talking about the exact same boiler as I am.

Last edited by a moderator:
You are right Mbear it has a flow sensor and a just the dual pass main heat exchanger.

I think mikegas is talking about another model.

Glenn

Last edited by a moderator:
mbear-got ya.

does the condensing type have a diverter though? i have fitted these goin back a few years and thought they did, a small electronic paddle. quite simple compared with older type mechanical diaphragm diverters

mbear-got ya.

does the condensing type have a diverter though? i have fitted these goin back a few years and thought they did, a small electronic paddle. quite simple compared with older type mechanical diaphragm diverters

ye they do have diverter valves and obviously and a hw h/e.

A flow switch or paddle turbine isn't a div valve fuz, they just let the blr know there's a demand for hw. A div valve physicaly changes the direction of the heated water to hw or heating. Also in the case of the vokera linea, it has a flow switch and a div valve. They are 2 different things and do different jobs buddy

ye they do have diverter valves and obviously and a hw h/e.

A flow switch or paddle turbine isn't a div valve fuz, they just let the blr know there's a demand for hw. A div valve physicaly changes the direction of the heated water to hw or heating. Also in the case of the vokera linea, it has a flow switch and a div valve. They are 2 different things and do different jobs buddy

i meantthe paddle in the diverter valve not a paddle turbine. the paddle that directs the water one way or the other, a bit like the original 3 ports valves. by hw h/e do you mean the water to water heat exchanger?

i meantthe paddle in the diverter valve not a paddle turbine. the paddle that directs the water one way or the other, a bit like the original 3 ports valves. by hw h/e do you mean the water to water heat exchanger?

ye fuz, hw h/e or plate h/e or as you say water to water h/e bud

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to worcester 28i junior in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I have a Worcester 28i junior boiler that has started to lose pressure, only when using the central heating. When using hot water I have no...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock