Discuss Wood burning stove/boiler and thermal store at same level? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

iank

We wanted to put in a wood burning stove with back boiler linked to a thermal store (also linked in to an oil boiler and thermal panels) that are on the same level in the house. One company seemed quite happy with this (or at least did not mention any problems), while another company said they had done this once and never again, as there were continual problems. I did not know enough then to ask what were the problems, but I understand it can be thermo-syphoning back from the tank through the stove when not in use.
It is suggested this can be overcome by siting the thermal store on a plinth as high as possible, and using antisyphon valves and a Laddomat or similar.
Would this be OK?

It is not possible for it to thermo-syphon back throught the stove when its not in use with a thermal store. Its a neutral point and any number of different heat sources can be added. You do not need a loading valve (laddomat) on a stove.

Thank you.
Forgive me if I am wrong, but I thought that the main function of the Laddomat or similar was to ensure that the stove was not cooled too much by a load of cold water from the tank, as this encouraged soot formation if the wood burned at a low temperature.

A stove working on gravity to thermal store is fine, a wood boiler or biomass linked to an accumulator tank needs a loading valve to keep the return temp high.

Wood boilers and stoves should be operated at a high temp to stop the formation of tar.

Just noticed you want to put them at the same level? It can't be done.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Wood burning stove/boiler and thermal store at same level? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock