Search the forum,

Discuss Wireless Room Stats in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaydebruyne

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Went to a job today reporting of no heating. Heating only boiler with a cylinder for dhw - s plan.

After creating demand on the water, confirmed the pump and boiler was fine.

After testing I found the wireless receiver to be at fault - I bridged the common to the call and ran the heating, all is fine.

But ... how do you test a wireless room stat to see if it's faulty?

It was a Drayton Digistat RF1.

turn the sender on and off and if it does not work it is at fault:)

so then flip in new batteries, carry out the link set up process and hope that cures the problem, if not change the frequency being used a few times as routers can screw them up and check it near to the boiler first as some metal objcts can caused attenuation issues.

Went to a job today reporting of no heating. Heating only boiler with a cylinder for dhw - s plan.

After creating demand on the water, confirmed the pump and boiler was fine.

After testing I found the wireless receiver to be at fault - I bridged the common to the call and ran the heating, all is fine.

But ... how do you test a wireless room stat to see if it's faulty?

It was a Drayton Digistat RF1.

as you said you have bridged at the sat and its had fresh battery's, just change it as dont think you can fix it as its a pcb

on some the sender (room stat) will show a little flame icon so you know its the receiver

Yeah tried that. Changed the batteries. Reset the wireless link. Nothing worked.

So other than this there's no physical way to test them? I know the receiver is at fault as I the override button wouldn't do anything but I did think to myself ... or doubt myself ... maybe it's the stat and not the receiver. So I just wondered how you test them.

try changing the dip switches as mentioned to prove signal isnt being jammed........

as you said you have bridged at the sat and its had fresh battery's, just change it as dont think you can fix it as its a pcb

on some the sender (room stat) will show a little flame icon so you know its the receiver

Ah, so if it was the stat it wouldn't have showed the flame symbol? As it came on and off when I changed the temp

Regular fault. The relay inside the reciever burns out. Dead easy swap for a new one or swap for a better one. Honeywell etc.
Swap batteries on the stat while your there.

try changing the dip switches as mentioned to prove signal isnt being jammed........

I knew the receiver was suspect when I couldn't use the override - but I didn't know you could change the frequency - will have to look out for that next time, cheers lame

Regular fault. The relay inside the reciever burns out. Dead easy swap for a new one or swap for a better one. Honeywell etc.
Swap batteries on the stat while your there.

Ah ok - Will prob go like for like. Won't know til it's booked in.

All the theory study on s-plan wiring paid off today, I was quite pleased with myself when I diagnosed the issue and did a temp fix. I know it might be small fry to you veterans but to a newbie like me, it's a big confidence booster :D

All the theory study on s-plan wiring paid off today, I was quite pleased with myself when I diagnosed the issue and did a temp fix. I know it might be small fry to you veterans but to a newbie like me, it's a big confidence booster :D
Good result!
from knowing how it works and through a methodical sequence, finding the fault.

Wiring is something I'm always trying to learn more about. Do you have any good reference material

Wiring is something I'm always trying to learn more about. Do you have any good reference material

experience and studying wiring diagrams

512px-S-Plan-Wiring.gif

SPlanPlus3Chan.png

512px-Y-Plan-Wiring.gif

I looked at diagrams like Shaun has posted and followed the wiring path. Goes from spur to timer to stat to valve to boiler/pump. As soon as I realised it's just a series of switches that allow current to flow to the next component (if the switch is on) it became a lot easier. Start with s-plan, then s-plan +, then add a frost/pipe stat.

I did all my workings on my computer. Layout your components (like above) and wire it up by drawing the wires from component to wiring centre. And see how you go, keep checking the answer sheet.

I'm getting a sack full of components and I'm gonna do an s-plan board and wire it up in my house, have a lightbulb for the boiler/pump haha

I looked at diagrams like Shaun has posted and followed the wiring path. Goes from spur to timer to stat to valve to boiler/pump. As soon as I realised it's just a series of switches that allow current to flow to the next component (if the switch is on) it became a lot easier. Start with s

If you keep all the valves pumps and that that you remove for being faulty or just to replace, take them apart test them and play around with them till you get comfortable with different faults

I looked at diagrams like Shaun has posted and followed the wiring path. Goes from spur to timer to stat to valve to boiler/pump. As soon as I realised it's just a series of switches that allow current to flow to the next component (if the switch is on) it became a lot easier. Start with s

If you keep all the valves pumps and that that you remove for being faulty or just to replace, take them apart test them and play around with them till you get comfortable with different faults

Yeah that's a good idea.. Think I'll do that. Although, the Mrs will start frowning after I fill the cupboard with crap! Haha

To be honest, I've had someone help me with the wiring stuff as well, kinda like teaching me, who's been an absolute godsend!! I silently thanked him when I got in my van after the job ;)

There's great satisfaction in using your brain, getting to the root of a problem and fixing it. I've got a few clowns I work with that do the complete opposite, will do anything to try and get out of doing a job or figuring it out for themselves. The joys of council work. I'd put you onto them Jay because they're looking for bodies but it wouldn't be good for your professional development. Stick to what you're at now because you seem to be doing a mixture of everything, won't do you any harm for another while.

There's great satisfaction in using your brain, getting to the root of a problem and fixing it. I've got a few clowns I work with that do the complete opposite, will do anything to try and get out of doing a job or figuring it out for themselves. The joys of council work. I'd put you onto them Jay because they're looking for bodies but it wouldn't be good for your professional development. Stick to what you're at now because you seem to be doing a mixture of everything, won't do you any harm for another while.
Yeah its satisfying when you know what you're doing, but frustrating when you have to keep calling someone for help because you're caught between the headlights.

I have goals which result in working for myself and supporting my family. I like the firm I'm with as I do get a vast variety of work, they pay fair, they gave me a chance when I had zero experience and the boss is a good guy.

I plan on sticking with them for a few years yet ;)

I looked at diagrams like Shaun has posted and followed the wiring path. Goes from spur to timer to stat to valve to boiler/pump. As soon as I realised it's just a series of switches that allow current to flow to the next component (if the switch is on) it became a lot easier. Start with s-plan, then s-plan +, then add a frost/pipe stat.

I did all my workings on my computer. Layout your components (like above) and wire it up by drawing the wires from component to wiring centre. And see how you go, keep checking the answer sheet.

I'm getting a sack full of components and I'm gonna do an s-plan board and wire it up in my house, have a lightbulb for the boiler/pump haha

thats all it is switch open switch close

its the same with 24v controls as well but you need a relay but thats another matter

thats all it is switch open switch close

its the same with 24v controls as well but you need a relay but thats another matter
I just learnt about relays lol so I actually know what you're talking about ;)

Well best of luck and don't be afraid to ask questions on here (I know you're not) because this is a great resource and there's some great guys on here. Keep up the good work.

Well best of luck and don't be afraid to ask questions on here (I know you're not) because this is a great resource and there's some great guys on here. Keep up the good work.
This place is a home from home to me now ;) I'd be lost without it/you guys

Get yourself on the Honeywell course it's one of the best and not expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Wireless Room Stats in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock