Search the forum,

Discuss Williams and co in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chalked

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
I have an account with Williams amd think its a great set up. But can someone Confirm please?
i thought it was for Gas safe registered only?
seems if you have a business you can get an account and buy boilers or any other gas appliance.
is this true @Raystafford
thanks.

Last edited:
My understanding has always been that you have to be a verified professional plumber, GSR, oilie etc, not just gas.

I have an account with Williams amd think its a great set up. But can someone Confirm please?
i thought it was for Gas safe registered only?
seems if you have a business you can get an account and buy boilers or any other gas appliance.
is this true @Raystafford
thanks.

Hi Paul

We limit ourselves to "Trade" customers, but bear in mind that heating is only a part of our business, and we deal with lots of other trades as well.

Which begs the question "what makes someone trade?".

Our first approach to that question is to reverse it. We can usually recognise a "retail" customer when we see them, and we send them on their way with directions to B&Q.

Our next question is "is this customer purchasing an item in pursuance of their main business or trade?". If the answer to that question is "yes" then we will generally deal with them, unless we have other reasons not to.

This leads to some grey areas. For example, an accountant who has a couple of buy-to-let flats likes to style himself as a "property developer". We would not consider him trade and would not sell him anything - not even a tap.

At the other end of the spectrum, one of our longest standing customers started doing up buy-to-lets 30 years ago, and now has 150+ properties. He is clearly a professional, and employs qualified sparks and GSRs to do his maintenance work, but prefers to purchase the materials himself. We see no reason not to treat him the same way as the local council, housing association, MOD, University and other major property owners who we deal with on the same basis.

A fair amount is left to the branch managers discretion, on the understanding that there are two general rules:

1) If in doubt, ask for further proof. Knowingly selling to a retail customer has the same disciplinary consequences as stealing money from the till.
2) If you are worried about safety, err on the side of losing the sale. This would apply to the sale of any potentially dangerous product, not just gas.

We recently had a case where a guy who had been a customer for 30 years allowed his registration to lapse and appeared in the local paper after being prosecuted for working illegally. After this, one of the lads on the counter called me because he had asked for a price on a boiler. I had known this guy since I was in my 20s, but still had to have that awkward conversation "sorry mate, but unless you are going to re-qualify, we aren't going to sell you any gas stuff."

On our website, we have to validate trade status in a different way, so we use the GSR thing (we pay them a tidy sum of money to link to the Gas Safe database) because it is a sure-fire check that we can do automatically, even at night time or weekends.

For customers who don't validate that way, we have a manual process of checking them out. Our rejection rate is not massive, but about 20% of non-GSR applicants get told to jog on.

Our aim is to:

1) Protect trade margins where possible, accepting that the internet makes this hard
2) Not waste valuable trade customer time waiting in line behind numpties

We don't try to act as the industry policeman, although we do like to sleep at night.

Nice one Ray.

Just to add, I had a delivery today without the plywood coffins! It's now a very robust cardboard box/ pallet. It's much better, lighter and easy to get rid of.:coolgleamA:

Nice one Ray.

Just to add, I had a delivery today without the plywood coffins! It's now a very robust cardboard box/ pallet. It's much better, lighter and easy to get rid of.:coolgleamA:

Thanks for the feedback. Ian, Matt and the guys put a lot of work into developing the cardboard version. Its not quite as bullet proof as the plywood version, but it seems to work ok. You are seeing version 6 or 7 - earlier versions failed our internal testing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Williams and co in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi there. I have a Cersanit close coupled toilet which as started leaking between the cistern and the bowl when flushed. I've taken the cistern off and this is what I see. I'm assuming the issue is with the silicon gasket (please see attached photos) but can't seem to find a replacement...
Replies
Views
Hi, A little about the business: I currently own a plumbing business (website and marketing) - looking to target residential and commercial market (i.e. tendering to main contractors flats etc). My background is a commercial manager, I use to do plumbing years back so technically I would not...
Replies
Views
Hello everyone. New to the forum and looking for assistance / advice. I live in a rented house with a not very co-operative landlord. I have just discovered that my bath overflow drain pipe is not connected as the flexible drain tube looks like it has been cut off at some point. After studying...
Replies
Views
Hi Folks, advice needed here... I am a 51 yr old leak detection engineer/plumber 2 years into self employment which i am loving. To get going I bought a 61 plate transit which has been great but is now off the road for a few weeks at least - which now that i am established and making decent...
Replies
Views
Am I the only one struggling to find appliances' manuals online? I know it's hard enough with cookers and old gas fires but I've just been unable to find the manual for an Ideal Exclusive. I thought I had found it but it turns out the GC number was different. Given the law says "refer to MI"...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock