Search the forum,

Discuss Will a thermostatic shower mixer work with two hot supplies? in the Ireland area at PlumbersForums.net

I won't go into the specifics here because it'd be far too long, but in a system I'm building I have two hot supplies - one between 25C and 35C, and one between 45C and 70C. (In short, I have two heat sources that perform differently under different conditions).

I want an output temperature of 40C, and to mix no additional cold into the system. Will a thermostatic shower mixer do this? The engineer in me says 'yes, the wax will still expand and contract according to the overall temperature', and the plumber in me says 'bUt ThAt'S NoT WhAt It'S DEsiGnEd FoR!!?'

If it won't, has anyone got any smart ideas on how to do this?

1. As an example, the Pegler TMV won't do it. It requires a maximum cold temperature of (from memory) around 20 degrees.
2. You could look at a thermostatic shower mixer valve, but I suspect they will have similar issues, as they have to have a set temperature differential. I suspect 35 / 45 is too close.
3. Depending on your application you might try two motorised valves with a pipe thermostat on each of the input pipes. Probably only do for relatively high flows and probably not very sensitive.

For blending hot water from ground source with gas we do it by pre blending the hot to 48 degrees. You need an electronic valve (wax operated valves don’t work on cooler flows above 25degrees) They are not cheap - £250 for a Chinese version or £1k for a bespoke European valve - Legiomix and the like

Last edited:

Reply to Will a thermostatic shower mixer work with two hot supplies? in the Ireland area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock