Search the forum,

Discuss Why would you change it..... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Riley

Super Moderator
S. Mod
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
As per the title, I have been asked to look at a system that is pumping over. Have looked and feed and vent are completely in the wrong place so will be correcting that.

Homeowner said to me I never had trouble before the new boiler. I took it tongue in cheek and said oh ok then. The homeowner then went on to say that they had a sealed system before BG installed a new Worcester heat only and changed the system back to a vented system.

I have been thinking long and hard about this and I cannot think for the life of me why they would change it back. Am I missing something???

Leak on a pipe and was not topping it up ?

I’m only trying to ascertain if it’s worth swapping it back to sealed rather than mess around sorting out the vent and feed

I’m only trying to ascertain if it’s worth swapping it back to sealed rather than mess around sorting out the vent and feed

In terms of genuine 'best for customer' I cannot for the life of me see any reason to have a vented system with boilers as they are. The boiler will simply fail much more quickly.

Just thought. What do MI's say re the full warranty?

Seems to me if this install contravenes MIs & specifically the warranty clauses, then they could claim back your full costs (for doing it to MIs) from BG.

I just called the owner and he reported never having leaks or needing to re-pressurise often

By what you say, I would convert it back to sealed system, after explaining it to the customer of risks of pressure drops, although unlikely.
Hate to have vented systems now.

Maybe somebody hadn’t a clue?
I work for a customer who had a sealed heating oil system and he said a couple of plumbers once looked at it and said it looked dangerous and made it open vent again. :) Now sealed again.

I know. It’s very difficult because BG seem to be a law unto themself.

Well BG left it with vent and feed causing pump over, so obviously didn’t know what they were doing.
But thinking if you alter the system, will BG warranty be void for their install due to your modification?

Reply to Why would you change it..... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up to 1.3. I've had an engineer look inside the boiler and he can't see anything wrong. I've checked the pipes all over the house and cannot see any...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I'm installing a concrete patio out back. By the wall under the kitchen sink I have an existing P-Trap gully for the grey water from the sink, dishwasher, washing machine etc. When I pour the concrete there won't be any chance to dig it up anymore. From my own research I get the...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and pebbles!) We saw that the pipe that takes water down the gutter was visibly full to the top. He said he will return with a coil to push through...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock