Search the forum,

Discuss White Metal Flakes from central heating in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 15730

Hi all,

Today I had one of my boilers replaced, it was in an extended part of the house where the pipe work is buried in the concrete floor.

My GSR sent the following email :-

We did boiler today, I have enclosed these picture !
Filled up , but the rads didn't get very hot , there was a circulation problem ! Even though it was flushed
We kept filling system to 3 bar then opened magna clean and loads of white metal flakes came out !!!!!! They where blocking the return from rads .
I don't no why they are white ! Usually brown or black sludge !! Don't know what type of pipe is under floor

Anyway , I think we got most out, and the rest will be court by the magna clean ! The old boiler was full of them so not surprising the valve was stuck !

I think it will be a case of returning in three weeks to remove magna clean and cleaning out again !

Should I be concerned about a potential problem with the buried pipes ? Or is this something that GSRs come across from time to time and so not a major issue as long as the magna filter does its job.....

Thank you for comments/advice

Never seen white flakes! I wonder if the pipework is plastic or MLCP that starting to break up? Or maybe it's flakes of limescale? Are you in a hard water area?

Yes it is a hard water area......the boiler has needed a lot of pressure topping up (ideal logic plus hex problems back in 2009/10) and i guess a lot of the original inhibitor will have been lost not sure if that explains the flakes though........

Yes it is a hard water area......the boiler has needed a lot of pressure topping up (ideal logic plus hex problems back in 2009/10) and i guess a lot of the original inhibitor will have been lost not sure if that explains the flakes though........

Generally, repeatedly topping up with fresh oxygenated water will lead to rusty orange or black magnetite deposits. Do you know what pipe material was used in the extension?

Unfortunately I don't know what type of pipe was buried.....the extended part is a self contained annex with its own boiler and heating circuit, this was built new back in 2010.

Could be scale get a sample analysed, you could have major problems going on under the floor.

Here are the pictures the gsr sent me...... IMG_8937.jpgIMG_8938.jpgIMG_8939.jpgIMG_8940.jpg

It's not anywhere near as white as I'd imagined LOL!

That looks like normal metallic sludge - if the inhibitor was lost and lots of fresh water introduced that would be the expected result. The odd whitish flake does look like limescale to me.

You can have water samples analysed quite cheaply by companies like Adey and Fernox amongst others, if it will put your mind at rest.

I find it odd that the system is so dirty after being flushed, though. Not casting aspersions on your GSR's competence but a thorough powerflush would have removed that. How exactly did he flush? A mains flush? Or just run it hot with some cleanser then drain it down and refill? Both are valid methods so he didn't do anything wrong if that's what he did, but they are better suited to less dirty systems.

No idea how he flushed it but he will check the magna filter again in 3 weeks and see where we go from there......thank you for suggestions.....

Do you have aluminium radiators on the system? I ask because I noticed when getting rid of a load of old aluminium radiators that had been stored for a while, bone dry, that they all had a lot of white metallic flakes a bit like those in them. I could pour out a small handful from each rad. I can't quite work out why there was so much in there. I haven't noticed the same with steel panel rads.

I would be more worried about the engineers grasp of English and why he is filling to 3 bar?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to White Metal Flakes from central heating in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

P
  • Question
Boiler is SIRIUS THREE FS 70 Potterton commercial. Situation: We are small building contractors and my labourers managed to damage the radiator pipes during the strip out. Not the end of the world as damages happens. I am responsible builder and paying my bills and to repair the damages if...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have a Worcester 28i junior boiler that has started to lose pressure, only when using the central heating. When using hot water I have no issue, however, when running the heating the pressure drops. Im looking for some ideas on what could be causing this. I have no sign of pipe leaks...
Replies
Views
Hi, Later this year I am going away for a 2 week holiday and as the weather will be warm there is no need for the heating to be on and arguably no need for me to needlessly heat hot water. My intention was to turn the boiler off along with the mains water when going away. Now, I have heard...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up to 1.3. I've had an engineer look inside the boiler and he can't see anything wrong. I've checked the pipes all over the house and cannot see any...
Replies
Views
P
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and pebbles!) We saw that the pipe that takes water down the gutter was visibly full to the top. He said he will return with a coil to push through...
Replies
Views
S
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock