Search the forum,

Discuss Which hot water system? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking for some advice regarding hot water systems.

I have recently bought a house that I am renovating and the hot water system is going to be replaced, as the current one is ancient. The room configuration is 2 rooms upstairs, 3 downstairs - 2 directly below and another long one in an extension at the back of the house (about 6x3m).

It shouldn't be a big deal to heat, as it's not a big place, but I am wondering about the hot water supply. The shower is a rain shower and uses quite a lot of water and I also have a large bath to fill. I do not want any hot water shortages, water temporarily going cool, etc. Also, I want an electric backup method of heating the water, in case the gas boiler breaks down.

I don't know much about this. I suppose with a tank, I could have an immersion as well, to serve as the backup. But is there some better way to do it?

Thanks in advance for any advice :)

If you want to retain a back up in case of boiler troubles, then you have to retain a tank.

If you have the pressure and flow to support it (20 litres per minute and 2 bar or thereabouts) you could go the unvented route, as above.

If pressure / flow is inadequate for an unvented system, you could go for a vented hot water cylinder (with immersion heater) and a pump for the shower. Probably wouldn't need a pump for the bath.

If flow and pressure are suitable then unvented cylinder all the way. Your plumber will advise you best as he will need to be G3

Thanks for all the replies.

Ok, so if the pressure is there, unvented seems the answer.

I realize it's difficult to put an accurate price on it, but assuming the the boiler and tank are supplied by me, roughly what sort of labour cost should I expect, to remove the current boilers (there are 2 at the moment - one for heating, the other for water) and install the new system. The property is completely empty at the moment - not even carpets - so should be fairly easy to work in.

Cheers.

Hard to give a price on a job you cant see. Lots of variables such as pipe runs, Gas run, position of installation and what area you are in the country.

I'm in south Wales. I'd like to move the position of the current boiler as it's not in a good place, though house itself is pretty small, so it wouldn't be going far. Gas runs right through to the back of the house at the moment.

You might need to upgrade pipework from meter to boiler and without looking its hard to price. Why not get a few local gas safe fitters to quote. Look on the gas safe register for fitters in your area. you should get a good idea of prices in your area.
I would also hold off buying any materials until you have had an engineer round.

Yeah, that is true and I will do that. I was just wondering what to expect as a rough figure, as I really have no idea where to even begin on labour costs.

I would be looking at around £2000 labour. But that's a rough figure not seen your system and pricing it where I live in ***bria.
Hope that helps some.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Which hot water system? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it 😬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock