Search the forum,

Discuss What type of system do I have? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi, I've recently moved home and would like to identify what type of system I have installed please. I've att'd a few photos. Please could someone help with this? I don't thinks it’s a combi, but may be wrong. There is no expansion tank in the loft
thank you !

Attachments

• IMG_3417.JPG
    IMG_3417.JPG
    451.6 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_3418.JPG
    IMG_3418.JPG
    386.3 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3419.JPG
    IMG_3419.JPG
    370.6 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3420.JPG
    IMG_3420.JPG
    379.4 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
That Megaflo is a hot water cylinder that is stainless steel unvented and therefore allows you storage of hot water, unlike a solely combi gas boiler system. It has same benefits that a combi system has (balanced high pressure to hot and cold throughout the house) but better flow rates of hot water due to heated water already in storage.
Note you need to have that unit serviced once a year by an unvented qualified plumber to keep it functioning well and for safety as well as manufacturers warranty of cylinder, often 25yrs.
That unit has an air bubble that allows expansion and this depletes which is something you can correct yourself on occasions.
To heat that cylinder from cold will usually require a couple hours on programmer to be sure to fully heat it. It is thermostatically controlled, so your gas boiler will shut off once the Megaflo reached temperature.
Your gas boiler is perhaps a sealed system boiler, same as a combi, only without the hot water and would require the system pressure (that is rads and gas boiler) to be kept in pressure - usually more than 1bar, so check boiler instructions on pressure & how to top it up at boiler

Last edited:
That Megaflo is a hot water cylinder that is stainless steel unvented and therefore allows you storage of hot water, unlike a solely combi gas boiler system. It has same benefits that a combi system has (balanced high pressure to hot and cold throughout the house) but better flow rates of hot water due to heated water already in storage.
Note you need to have that unit serviced once a year by an unvented qualified plumber to keep it functioning well and for safety as well as manufacturers warranty of cylinder, often 25yrs.
That unit has an air bubble that allows expansion and this depletes which is something you can correct yourself on occasions.
To heat that cylinder from cold will usually require a couple hours on programmer to be sure to fully heat it. It is thermostatically controlled, so your gas boiler will shut off once the Megaflo reached temperature.
Your gas boiler is perhaps a sealed system boiler, same as a combi, only without the hot water and would require the system pressure (that is rads and gas boiler) to be kept in pressure - usually more than 1bar, so check boiler instructions on pressure & how to top it up at boiler
Thanks for the response.

When you say I need to get the "unit" serviced annually, by unit, do you mean the boiler, or the hot water cylinder or both?

Also, if I needed to describe what system I have to a plumber in order to get a quote for some work, what would I say? An "unvented megaflo system" or a "Sealed system" maybe? I think you are saying that it isn't a combi right?

For info, the boiler is being replaced in Aug, when we have our kitchen refurbed. We have a four bedroom house, soon to be five, which has two bathrooms (one with bath and shower and the other with just a shower). I'm just trying to get my head around what I should replace it with. Any advice appreciated, and please excuse my ignorance!

Appreciated!

You have an unvented hot and cold water system.
Your heating system is a sealed system (as it has no small feed tank in attic to fill it).
The Megaflo cylinder will be ideal for you as it gives better flow rates of hot water than a combi boiler would. Perfect for larger homes with 2 or more bathrooms.
It might seem confusing, but an option when choosing a new gas boiler but still keeping the Megaflo hot cylinder would be to either have a system gas boiler (“system” means it encompasses all the sealed system parts, expansion vessel, circulating pump etc), or a combi version piped same and heating Megaflo etc, but use the hot water from new boiler for some of the taps or nearby outlets. But your gas installer will know best.
Servicing of gas boilers and Megaflo is once a year and likely better for convenience and cost that the gas service person does both in one visit

You have an unvented hot and cold water system.
Your heating system is a sealed system (as it has no small feed tank in attic to fill it).
The Megaflo cylinder will be ideal for you as it gives better flow rates of hot water than a combi boiler would. Perfect for larger homes with 2 or more bathrooms.
It might seem confusing, but an option when choosing a new gas boiler but still keeping the Megaflo hot cylinder would be to either have a system gas boiler (“system” means it encompasses all the sealed system parts, expansion vessel, circulating pump etc), or a combi version piped same and heating Megaflo etc, but use the hot water from new boiler for some of the taps or nearby outlets. But your gas installer will know best.
Servicing of gas boilers and Megaflo is once a year and likely better for convenience and cost that the gas service person does both in one visit
Thanks again. Final question....I promise. See pic. My understanding is that the device shown reduces our water pressure as maybe we are in a high pressure area. The reason I ask is that I need to replace a shower. The unit I am thinking of getting states "Suitable for High Pressure Water Systems Only".
Any advice available on that please?

Attachments

• IMG_3423.JPG
    IMG_3423.JPG
    370.5 KB · Views: 14
Yes, you have a pressure reducing valve, which by the looks of it reduces it to 3 bar pressure, which would answer your shower should be suitable for high pressure systems, afaik low pressure systems are that of gravity fed and very low mains pressure, typically less than 1bar pressure.

As for replacing the boiler as per @Best your installer will know best. You’d be better keeping the megaflow imo, combi’s suffer poor hot water delivery if more than one outlet in use, generally. You could opt for an intergas eco rf 30 as these are a multiple choice boiler (they can be setup for different scenarios), a system boiler or even a combi, but needs to be wired and plumbed correctly.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to What type of system do I have? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi Guys, My chimney failed the test so I need to install a flue liner for my Gazco Stockton gas fire. It was over a year ago when the engineer condemned the chimney and I remember him also saying something about it needing some sort of box fitted into the fire recess but I can't remember the...
Replies
Views
Hello, I've just found this forum and wondering if anyone can please help us. We've not long moved into our new home. It's has Johnson and Starley warm air heating and hot water tank in airing cupboard. All has been working fine until yesterday. We had the water softener serviced and since then...
Replies
Views
Hey, I've got a leaking toilet and I need to replace the filling valve device which is a Geberit 810.L3 Type 340 with a 1/2" connector. Problem I've got is the connection under the tank (image attached). The top plastic nut (yellow) is only to hold the fill valve in place - I can undo it by...
Replies
Views
Hello. I'm new to this forum and I'm hoping to be able to learn some things as well as contribute as best I can. This might seem like an odd query, but I need to determine what kinds of plumbing pipes I have, and approximately what percentage of each type. I'd appreciate any help with this...
Replies
Views
I need to replace the washer of my kitchen mixer tap as it is leaking. I was able to remove the spout once by unscrewing the screw on the back of the tap. However now I can't remove it again as it seems I must have used the wrong screw head and have rounded off the head. Please see attached...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock