Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss What tools for apprentice plumber? in the Plumbing Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. davidaholmes

davidaholmes New Member

I am an appentrice plumber and want to buy my first set of tools - Advice please on what I need.

2. SimonG

SimonG Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

Sweeping brush :)

No seriously, what sort of company you working with?

I'm sure there's been a few posts on this if you use the search.

Welcome along.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Ric2013

Ric2013 Plumber

If you intend to look after them, start with a good bag or box and then buy good quality tools you'll use all your life as and when you can afford them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. DXCross

DXCross GSR

As above largely depends what sort of work you’ll be doing...

Start with the smaller items you’ll use often; decent set of spanner’s/grips/screwdrivers, pipe slices, level and tape. All relatively inexpensive but indispensable

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. king of pipes

king of pipes Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Bacho adjustable spanner , channel lock grips , Stanley screwdriver set , 1-2-3 ft sprit levels best you can afford , Rothemberger radiator ratchet spanner, 15 -22mm pipe slices, tape measure, hammer , chisels comb and ordinary, pipe benders (Hilmor) and a good tool bag to put them in will do for starters . Good luck kop

• Like Like x 1
  6. Craig Watson

Craig Watson Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

All the above, and also:
    Superfire 2 blowtorch
    Box type tap spanners
    And a bleed key :D

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. PETE 123

PETE 123 Active Member

First aid kit.

• Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  8. Rob Foster

Rob Foster Top Contributor!!

Spend quite awhile going around the car boots, plenty of good gear, esp. if its rusty ..10p per item .get some wd 40 and engine oil or hydraulic fluid soak and all is dandy. i expect i could re equipe myself for £100 like this over a few months with £1000 + worth of gear if it was new. just get a new rothenberger lamp for your birthday , not 2nd hand incase they blow up. I use a tesco bag for life nowadays plenty of space and easily replaced and bad boys wont nick your gear cause they think is tesco food, but dont use waitrose bags ..(joke)

Rob Foster aka centralheatking

• Funny Funny x 2
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
  9. Craig Watson

Craig Watson Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Not sure turning up to work with your tools in a carrier bag sends the right image :rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 3
  10. Rob Foster

Rob Foster Top Contributor!!

your right I am 60 own the company and dont care but 4 younger ones maybe not. chk

11. Chuck

Chuck Well-Known Member

Engraver so you can mark your name on every other tool you buy.

I inherited a set of tools that were originally my great-grandfather's. He was a cabinet maker and one of the things the appentices had to do in his day was to make their own set of tools from stock material such as steel rod and bar with carved wooden handles. Remarkable to look at / think about.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Pickwickpick

Pickwickpick Plumber

I love old tools, have been lucky to inherit some of my grand dad and some off my great uncle, they don't make things like that anymore!

13. quality

quality Plumber GSR

Alarm clock

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Stigster

Stigster Plumber

All good suggestions here. As an apprentice there will be times where you have to borrow a tool from another tradesman. On a related note, it can often be difficult to know what you need to buy but one thing is for sure - If you need to borrow a tool more than twice you need to buy one for yourself. I'll happily lend tools to people I trust but if they come back for a third time I tell them to go buy their own as they obviously need it.

• Agree Agree x 1