Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss What should I expect from a competent central heating engineer? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

I had an engineer out today to quote me for a boiler install. It got me thinking, what should they be doing so I that I can see they're competent? This thread is inspired by something I read on here earlier.

Last edited:
That’s a tough one really.

Someone with zero plumbing knowledge decides to change career and does a quick gas course. A month later they’re qualified and deemed as competent. A week later they set up on their own and go around slinging boilers on the wall.

However, the gas course doesn’t teach you about heating systems, design, heat calcs, domestic water systems and everything else that goes on.

The best chance of getting a decent engineer is by recommendation.

If they’re unrecommended, you can ask to see their gas card and ask questions. However, ask too many questions and they might feel like you’re gonna be a pain in the bum customer and decide it’s not worth it.

It is honestly a difficult one.

You need to ask the questions during the estimate visit.
What boiler? Why?
What output? How’d you calc?
Etc

I’m good at building rapport, simplifying terminology and have no problem explaining the options to a customer in as much or as little detail as they want.
Some of the best engineers aren’t. This doesn’t make them bad.

During an estimate, within a minute of walking in, I pretty much know what I’m gonna do/cost etc. The rest of the time is building rapport and dealing with customer concerns/expectations.

The biggest is expectations, if they don’t ask what you expect out of the job, it could miss the mark.

Your hot water cylinder on a pump could be full of scale and you’re hot water is running out too quickly.
You’ve heard about combi boilers and how they provide continuous hot water.
You think perfect and tell the engineer to remove your system boiler/hot water tank and to install a combi.

Engineer leaves, the next morning you use 2 showers at the same time and the flow/temp is worse than before.
A combi wasn’t suitable but the engineer didn’t pick up on it because they didn’t ask the correct questions.

You can probably get a better gauge of competency by the questions the engineer asks.

That was a bit of a rant, sorry

Reply to What should I expect from a competent central heating engineer? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
Hi, I have a Worcester 28i junior boiler that has started to lose pressure, only when using the central heating. When using hot water I have no...
Replies
Views
P
  • Question
Boiler is SIRIUS THREE FS 70 Potterton commercial. Situation: We are small building contractors and my labourers managed to damage the radiator...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock