Search the forum,

Discuss What is this? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

justjus1701

Hi, I live in a small block of flats and look after the grounds etc. The other day I noticed a leak coming from a pipe with a cage around it (see below), where is the water coming from ? Rads, boiler ? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. Justin

Attachments

• 28032010653.jpg
    28032010653.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 84
the fact the pipes have a cage would suggest (to me anyway!!) that the pipes are likely to discharge hot water, do the properties have unvented hot water tanks? you will really need a plumber to have a look and trace which property the water is coming from and get it attended to

As said would have thought a unvented cylinder in one of the flats needs attention,re priming or maybe over heating,requires sorting,re priming can be done by following instructions hopefully on side of cylinder,if over heating qualified unvented plumber required,the flat that is leaking should be able to tell by looking in cylinder cupboard,check visible pipe work and you should see an open plastic (usually black)pot called a tundish that shows the dripping going through it to out side

imho

Hi. If these are just a couple of many on the building? it may well make life easier in the long term if you trace and tag the pipes with flat numbers. It saves trying to access numerous flats to find the fault. Good Luck

Hi Guys, Thanks for the help . It is an unvented water system and the block only consists of 6 units......fortunately. I will do some investigating....now I know (kind of) what I'm looking for. I did wonder what the turndish was for. My airing cupborad looks like the inner workings of a space shuttle!

As said would have thought a unvented cylinder in one of the flats needs attention,re priming or maybe over heating,requires sorting,re priming can be done by following instructions hopefully on side of cylinder,if over heating qualified unvented plumber required,the flat that is leaking should be able to tell by looking in cylinder cupboard,check visible pipe work and you should see an open plastic (usually black)pot called a tundish that shows the dripping going through it to out side

imho

they should also go to a drain or low level

It looks like the flats have suspended floors (plastic trickle air vent). It would be wise to get the problem sorted quick to avoid damage to the internal fabric of the building.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to What is this? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock