Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss What is a fair hourly rate for a qualified plumber/Gas Safe engineer? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Masood

Hiya,

First off, a big hello to you all. This is my first post on the forum, and I'm after some advice. I've been recommended to my local council to be an approved contractor, and as part of the process they want to know what my hourly rate is.

I've always priced per job, based on £200 a day, but without wanting to sound greedy, breaking it down per hour seems a little low - £25/hour for an 8-hour day.

I am City & Guilds 6129 Level 2 and NVQ Level 2 qualified, Gas Safe registered, with a few years experience in all sorts of domestic plumbing and gas. I also do bathroom and kitchen fitting/redesign so have carpentry and (basic) general building skills.

What do you think would be a fair rate? Based in the Surrey/Kent area.

Thanks in advance!
Masood

I don't know what it's like down south, but I can't see my local council paying £25 ph, never mind more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I think you'd be lucky getting £14 ph off a council, besides most councils etc use a Schedule of Rates now.

for local Authority work/general contracting subby rates by me are £100-140 a day or price work which differs on each job. Some prices ive heard of are £85-100 for a bathroom, £150-250 for a boiler change/system change, £400-500 for a full heating system.

If your working on your own private work you charge what you want.

if you do a search there are plenty of posts about advertised gas engineers jobs with wages as low as £8 an hour.

to cheap id think in the south £40 per hour would be the minimum think of it this way you start working for the council it all works out fine so you take on some one to cover some of the work your lucky and get a guy who wants 12.50 an hour now you have to use the 12.50 an hour profit to pay his 6 weeks holidays a year, insure him, provide a van or fares to jobs maybe pay for his ACOPS every 5 years contribute to his pension scheme then that 12,50 looks a little thin

depends which part of the council,imo?.

ask them if they want to employ you=£14ph or employ your services=£25ph. ones with holiday pay and the likes and the tother aint.

i charge a dept of my local council what i like but generally around £40ph, never had a problem but i do always go the extra mile if needed for them so proberbly less than that in real terms.
so lifes a gud un.lol.

i think the original poster needs to clarify whats he's asking on as a rate ?

theres hourly rate employed to someone
hourly rate sub contracting to someone
and theres hourly rate running your own business

all three would differ considerably imo

I would be happy on 12 pound an hour, with a pension and healthcare employed

i wouldn't work for less than 120 a day subbing regular
160 if it was one off

And as far as my business goes i don't walk away from a job with less than forty quid even if I'm there 20 mins.

So its all about what your planning on doing.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to What is a fair hourly rate for a qualified plumber/Gas Safe engineer? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock